VMware Communities
brad1138
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware player install trouble

I downloaded the Linux 64 bit installer "VMware-Player-4.0.4-744019.x86_64.txt" When I clicked it, it opened in gedit and had text saying (something like) it would check if it was already installed, unpack an installer and install if necessary. A progress bar across the top started SLOWLY moving across. It took forever, after about 30-45 minutes it had used all my 4GB of memory. I closed all other programs, it took about 2 hours for the progress bar to make it across. when it got to the end it sat there and the install window went dark, after about 10 more minutes it came up with an error about not being able to do something (sorry didn't jot it down). It asked if I wanted to retry, I clicked cancel.

My concern is for the last 1+ hour of the "install" the hard drive was running non-stop, what was it doing? Could it have been filling my hard drive up with useless data (useless in that the install failed). Also I am curious why it didn't work.

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos
10 Replies
brad1138
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just went back and clicked the same DL link and got a file named "VMware-Player-4.0.4-744019.x86_64.bundle" I don't know what the difference between .txt and .bundle is. I will try running the new DL and report what happens.

0 Kudos
brad1138
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Clicking it did the same thing (see pic) after about 10 mintues it had moved less than 10%, so I cancelled. What am I missing?

FWIW:

Phenom II 955 w/4GB DDR3 memory / Ubuntu 12.04

Thanks again,

Brad

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Try reading the documentation! Smiley Wink  Like "Install Player on a Linux Host" on page 12 of Getting Started with VMware Player.

0 Kudos
brad1138
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did do that already, thank you. Although on reading it again it looks like it needs to be run from command line as root, "sudo vmware...." . IMHO it is not worded well in the directions, you kind of have to infer a bit to figure that out. but thank you for having me reread it. I will let you know if that works.

0 Kudos
brad1138
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well that didn't work anyway, just says "command not found" in terminal. From the directions it says:

"Run the appropriate Player installer file for the host system.

For example: sh VMware-Player-e.x.p-xxxx-xxxx.architecture.bundle --[option]"

Ubuntu does not use sh, it uses sudo. That seems fairly cut and dry. Either there is a problem or the directions REALLY stink.
0 Kudos
beth22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try:

'$ sudo /bin/sh /path/to/vm-player-name.bundle' or  '$ sudo /bin/bash /path/to/vm-player-name.bundle'

0 Kudos
Peter40
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

This is my first post.

Yesterday I tried to install VMware player to my Dell 8300, i5, 3.30GHz, 1T and at the end of the install a red box appeared saying there was something wrong and showing the path.

My two friends have the same issue.

I am not techy but my friend is sending me a zip file via cloud to install the previous version as he too had trouble with the current new release.

I wish I had the error message but is anyone having trouble at the very end oof the installation in a red box containing a path?

Thank you for your kind reply and I willl try to intsall it again to show you the error in detail. I was asking a general question to know if the issue was on my end or not.

Is there any thing I can do to facilitate this installation?

Thank you

Peter40

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I know you're new (1 posts since Jun 17, 2012) and you're not "techy" (techie) and you did say "I tried to install VMware player to my Dell 8300, i5, 3.30GHz, 1T and at the end of the install a red box appeared saying there was something wrong and showing the path." however, unfortunately without additional technical information there is not much to say other then...

What version of VMware Player?

What OS is on your Dell 8300?

Did you validate the MD5/SHA1 checksum of the VMware Player Installer Package you downloaded against the published values shown on the download page?

What was the exact wording of the error message and if the message shows the path to a log file then attach a copy of the log file to a reply.  Note: DO NOT copy and past the contents of the log file into the reply, rather attach the file as an attached file and preferably archived (compressed).

0 Kudos
Peter40
Contributor
Contributor

I did not want you to waste time with me as I am not capable of computing to this degree; I do not understand the replies.

Thank yo

Peter

0 Kudos
irishman211
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but if the file downloaded as .txt file then it is bundled and you can install it using terminal as root, just run the command:

./VMware-Player-5.0.2-1031769.x86_64.txt

Using the sh command only works if the file was shell script, in this case, it's bundled so that when you run it, it attempts to determine if the necessary items are installed and if not, it loads the installer.

0 Kudos