VMware Communities
lior9364
Contributor
Contributor

VMware player 16 running windows 8.1 Pro - Black screen after login

Hi!

I'm using VMware player 16 and for a several months everything worked fine. but last week, when I logged into my user, the desktop screen was black and it still black since than. I'm able to access the task manager. 

I tried every solution that i could found but i can't figure it out. I've tried to reboot on Safe Mode, to run explorer.exe and to update graphics drivers.

also, if it matters, I'm using windows 10 on Bootcamp.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@lior9364 

Moderator: Moved to Workstation Player Discussions, nothing to do with vSphere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

Not sure what it is, but it could be either VMware related or Windows related. Try with a backup VM computer, which used to work. If it does work, it is Windows related. If it doesn't, it is VMware related.

1. If it is VMware related

Check VM config for graphics - namely disable Graphic Acceleration.

2. If it is Windows related

a) Try with another login. This may be about a broken user profile.

b) Have you used the computer with a higher resolution monitor or dual monitors? If you have, your windows may be outside the visible screen area - not sure how that happens to entire GUI, but perhaps it is possible in Win 8.1. The easiest solution is to get back this situation and move windows to better places.

If you cannot do this, you can still start registry editor and move a window/menu item to 0,0 -location ... if you know what to edit. Sorry, I don't.

c) Look for other solutions for this Win 8.1 problem. It seems that Google finds plenty of candidates for this problem.

ender_
Expert
Expert

This is probably not VMWare-related; after starting Task Manager, try running explorer.exe from it; if that doesn't work (or even if it does), run eventvwr.msc to start Event Viewer, and check the Application log, which might give you some clue as to why Explorer (the desktop) isn't starting.

0 Kudos
MerylC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Happened to my setup as well. Only reason was Accelerate 3d Graphics was enabled.

---------------------------------------------------------------

VMware Workstation Virtual Machines Expert
0 Kudos
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

Thank you MerylC 🙂 .

Did the original poster get this sorted out?

If not, there is one more tip for the black screen: If you have configured drives (Connect Network Drive), which cannot be accessed during boot, Windows login screen may easily stay black for minutes.

0 Kudos