VMware Communities
ttabi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware attempts to open app on host instead of in guest

I'm not sure if I can explain properly what's going on.  I'm running Windows 10 in a guest and Linux is the host.  I've installed Java in the Windows guest.  I'm running a Windows app in the guest that wants to launch Java and run a .jar file.  I'm getting an error message dialog box that says:

"The file C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\SKMtools\EdgeDetector.jar is not in a folder shared with the host and cannot be opened by the host."

The error message is correct when it says that C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\SKMtools\ is not a shared folder.  However, I do not want VMware to open the .jar file in host.  I want it to open it in the guest!  After all, I have Java installed in the guest already.

How do I fix this?  How do I force VMware to never open any host apps?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Ok, that confirms what I was suspecting, thanks.

So the error is from the guest OS and the reason you are seeing this error is because the default application for .jar file types is setup as the "default host application" with a "vm" logo.

You can change this in Windows via right click on the start menu icon

- Select "Settings" (the rest depends a bit on the actual Windows 10 version, but assuming it is the same one I am looking at right now)

- Select "Apps"

- Select "Default Apps" from the left menu

- Scroll down ->>> "Choose Default apps by file type"

- wait... yawn...

- scroll down ---->>>>> to .jar

- click and change it to "Java Platform binary" or something along those lines, assuming you have java installed.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Screenshot?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
ttabi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Screenshot_20201119_082301.png

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Ok, that confirms what I was suspecting, thanks.

So the error is from the guest OS and the reason you are seeing this error is because the default application for .jar file types is setup as the "default host application" with a "vm" logo.

You can change this in Windows via right click on the start menu icon

- Select "Settings" (the rest depends a bit on the actual Windows 10 version, but assuming it is the same one I am looking at right now)

- Select "Apps"

- Select "Default Apps" from the left menu

- Scroll down ->>> "Choose Default apps by file type"

- wait... yawn...

- scroll down ---->>>>> to .jar

- click and change it to "Java Platform binary" or something along those lines, assuming you have java installed.

--
Wil