VMware Communities
kanish
Contributor
Contributor

VMware and HP P4000

I am a proper novoice, this is my first time using VMware.

I am trying to create a server which I can use to connect to using the HP P4000 VSA.  I have tried to create a server using VMware Workstation, WMware Player and VMware vSphere Client and have been unsuccessful thus far.

Can anyone give me any tips on what I can do to get started?

I am using trial versions of all VMware and HP P4000 software.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

what exactly are you trying to achieve and do you have the P4000 already set up!? Basically the P4000 only has an iSCSI network connection and you either need to configure an ESXi hosts with e.g. an iSCSI Software Initiator to access the P4000 or a virtual machine with an in-guest iSCSI Initiator.

If you let me know which VMware product you prefer to use, I will move this discussion to the appropriate forum.

André

0 Kudos
kanish
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre,

Thank you for your time.

I have the P4000 already installed.  I prefer to use VMPlayer, I have already loaded on VMware ESXi 5.1 on the player.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Although VMware Player is limited in regards of the virtual network configuration, you can set this up in a single subnet (e.g. Host-Only). Let's assume your Host-Only subnet (vmnet1) is 192.168.111.x with an ESXi Host as a guest OS (Management: 192.168.111.10) and the P4000 (192.168.111.20). With such a setup you could e.g. create a second VMKernel port group on the ESXi host's vSwitch with an IP address 192.168.111.11 for the iSCSI connection. Then - in Configuration -> Storage Adapters - create an iSCSI adapter, bind the newly created port group and enter the P4000's IP address to the static targets. Now make note of the ESXi host's iSCSI IQN and create a new host in the Lefthand CMC using this IQN. After creating a new LUN and assigning it to the ESXi host, you should see the LUN in ESXi after rescanning the software iSCSI adapter.

André

PS: Discussion moved from Community Website Help to VMware Player

kanish
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again for your time and help Andre.  I was able to get it up and running!

0 Kudos