VMware Communities
Sitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Workstation Player 16 unable to add USB 3.0 controller to a P2V machine

Hi All,

I have ran VMware vCenter Converter Standalone against a physical Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 notebook to convert physical to virtual.

I would like to run this P2V Windows 7 VM in VMware Workstation Player 16.2.2 build-19200509 but when I go to "Edit settings" of the VM I am unable to list USB 3.0 controller, just lists USB 1.1 and 2.0 controllers.

What I have also noticed is that if I create a brand new VM from scratch, in "Edit settings" of the VM then I am able to list and add a USB 3.1 controller.

Please, anyone can hep me?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

RS

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi RS,

Make sure the virtual hardware is set to the latest.

This is not something you can change in the GUI of VMware Player, only VMware Workstation Pro can change this.

You can however make the change directly in the .vmx file with a plain text editor such as notepad (or similar).

Eg. look for a line like:

virtualHW.version = "16"

and set it to the same value is what you have when you create a new VM.

Change this with the VM shut down, not suspended and VMware Player not running.

edit: forgot to mention it, but usb3 and Windows 7 are a bit special.

Unfortunately Windows 7 itself does not come with USB3 support (this is sometimes referenced as windows 7 not having an inbox driver for USB3).

In order to use a USB3 device under VMware Player you have the following options:

- Use an operating system with USB3 support (eg. Windows 8.x or similar)

- Use a USB2 hub or USB2 cable between your computer and the USB3 device you want to use to downgrade the USB3 interface to USB2

- Connect to a USB2 connector on your computer if your computer provides such a connector.

Note that you will have to install an additional driver in order to be able to use USB3 from within Windows 7.

Have a look at the following KB article for the details: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2128105

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi RS,

Make sure the virtual hardware is set to the latest.

This is not something you can change in the GUI of VMware Player, only VMware Workstation Pro can change this.

You can however make the change directly in the .vmx file with a plain text editor such as notepad (or similar).

Eg. look for a line like:

virtualHW.version = "16"

and set it to the same value is what you have when you create a new VM.

Change this with the VM shut down, not suspended and VMware Player not running.

edit: forgot to mention it, but usb3 and Windows 7 are a bit special.

Unfortunately Windows 7 itself does not come with USB3 support (this is sometimes referenced as windows 7 not having an inbox driver for USB3).

In order to use a USB3 device under VMware Player you have the following options:

- Use an operating system with USB3 support (eg. Windows 8.x or similar)

- Use a USB2 hub or USB2 cable between your computer and the USB3 device you want to use to downgrade the USB3 interface to USB2

- Connect to a USB2 connector on your computer if your computer provides such a connector.

Note that you will have to install an additional driver in order to be able to use USB3 from within Windows 7.

Have a look at the following KB article for the details: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2128105

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Sitz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi @wila ,

many thanks for your support.

With your instructions now I am able to use USB 3.0 devices with my P2V Windows 7 VM, every information you have given to me was correct.

I will mention you in my evenings prayers.

Thank you.

Best regards

RS

0 Kudos