VMware Communities
franks1
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools required

I've got VMware Player installed/running, 100%, under W7 Pro with a W10 guest. Now I want to access shared folders from the host but folder sharing option is disabled? The advice there is I require VMware Tools.

How do I do that, there is another reference to the CD drive but I do not have a disc for whatever? Can I download a file to install this Tools?

The more I search the more lost I become :smileyblush:.

Any suggestions most welcome.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

the VMware Tools installers are not automatically installed with VMware Player, but you can download them from from File > Preferences... > Download All Components Now. Once downloaded you can initiate the VMware Tools installation from the VM's menu.

André

0 Kudos
franks1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks André, the download was successful, no problems. The step to install fails time and again, as soon as select install I receive a very quick (2 seconds) slide in pop-up saying: "DVD Drive (D:) J_CCSA__X86FRE_EN_-GB_DV5" and "Tap to choose what happens with this disc"

At the bottom of the VMware Player window is:

"Make sure that you are logged in to the guest operating system. If you do not see VMware Tools installing, press the Windows logo key + R. Then, enter D:\setup.exe (where 😧 is your virtual CD-ROM drive)."

When I select Player > Manage, I see "Cancel VMware Tools Installation", that is always there, does that mean it is waiting on me?

I waited 15 minutes but no indication of anything happening?

I'm afraid nothing of above makes sense to me, holding thumbs that you can expand on it?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not exactly sure what the current state is. Which files do you see on the VM's CD-ROM drive D:? In case the VMware Tools CD (ISO) has been inserted, run setup.exe as mentioned in the pop-up message.

André

0 Kudos
franks1
Contributor
Contributor

That's the confusing part, I do not have a CD, I used an ISO file (Windows10_InsiderPreview_x32_EN-GB_10074.iso, 2.718 GB) I downloaded from MS. This ISO file is on my D partition but I cannot link/paste the path because I cannot make it a shared folder because I must first install VMware Tools.

It's a single ISO file and not a setup.exe?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just to make sure you didn't misunderstand what I was trying to say. I'm talking about the virtual machines CD-ROM drive. If you want to install VMware Tools in the guest OS, first install the guest OS (e.g. Windows 10 from your Windows ISO), and then run "Install VMware Tools" from the VM's menu. This will attach the VMware Tools ISO image to the VM's CD-ROM drive, and start the installation unless autostart is disabled. In this case you'll have to start the setup.exe from within the guest OS manually.

André

0 Kudos
franks1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks André, I've got access to the virtual CD-ROM drive but because I do not have any discs it always ends up with "Please insert a disk into DVD drive". I then decided to download VMware Tools ISO directly from within the Win10 guest and selected install when it asked what to do with it. All went fine and it's installed after a restart or two.

I may have made a mistake when selecting which VMware Tools ISO because I selected the x86 version and my installed VMware Player is 64-bit? The Win10 guest is x86. During installation I received a pop-up "This virtual machine is running a version of VMware Tools that might have compatibility problems with VMware Player" I proceeded and another pop-up "Setup failed to install the SVGA driver automatically. This driver will have to be installed manually."

After I activated shared folders within the Win10 guest I had access to the required files on the host and all fine.

Would you advise that I uninstall the x86 version and reinstall the 64-bit version? The missing SVGA driver's impact I cannot see and do not know if I should surf and try and find such a driver?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which VMware Tools version did you use?

In a previous reply you mentioned that the Tools download was successful, so you should actually have the required ISO images in the VMware Player's installation folder!?

André

0 Kudos
franks1
Contributor
Contributor

The version is 9.9.2.44151. I selected/ran the repair option and all's fine. What went wrong previously I'll never know but I'll not fiddle any further.

Thanks for your patience and support, between all my dumb actions with your help it turned out well Smiley Happy

0 Kudos