VMware Communities
excelsi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Tools missing in VMware Player 7 Installation

Hi all,

if i try to install/update VMware Tools after Installation of VMware Player 7 no ISO will be connected to the VM.

I checked the VMware Player Installation Directory for the ISOs of the Tools but no ISOs are there.

Can you help me out of this Situation or is it a missing component in the installer?

Thanks

Michael

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just downloaded VMware-player-7.0.0-2305329.exe and installed it under Windows 7 x64 and had no problems with it automatically detecting that VMware Tools for the Guest OS installed needed to be downloaded and downloaded it successfully.  That said, have you tried?: Player > File > Preferences... > Download All Components Now

Maybe something is blocking you from downloading the VMware Tools.

You could also do it manually using the following VMware Tools for VMware Player 7.0.0.

Untar the file and then execute the resultant executable and it will silently install the file without any indication that it actually did as that is not really then intended way to do it although it does work! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

8 Replies
excelsi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

can nobody confirm that this is an actual problem in VMware Player 7?

And VMware if this is a problem: Please fix it, also if VMware Player 7 is a free product, it's annoying!

Thanks.

Michael

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VMware Player Installer does not contain the VMware Tools!  They must be downloaded by the program as/when needed.  From page 27 of Getting Started with VMware Player PDF...

The most recent versions of the ISO files are stored on a VMware Web site. When you select the command to install or upgrade VMware Tools, the VMware product determines whether it has downloaded the most recent version of the ISO file for the specific operating system. If the latest version has not been downloaded or if no VMware Tools ISO file for that operating system has ever been downloaded, you are prompted to download the file.

0 Kudos
excelsi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for this information. I will try this again with a new installation and a new VM.

0 Kudos
excelsi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

i verified this again.

And the result is: Nothing happens if i click on "Install VMware Tools.." , no ISO Download, no ISO Mount into the VM to start the Installation.

So for me it is definitly a bug in VMware Player 7 and the VMware Tools Installation is not working.

So VMware: Please fix this!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
wvos
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

+1 for me

After a fresh windows 7 install, I downloaded VMPlayer 7.

I use existing virtual machines, created in VMware Player 6.0.4  (Mint 17)

VMplayer then complains about the version of tools, but does not provide or download an updated version (linux.iso).

I tried to download tools manually, but failed to install because of it not being compatible with the kernel version.

In the end I went back to a backup of the windows version that had VMware Player 6.0.4 on it. Copied the Linux.iso from there and installed it.

It is not the correct version, but it works.

Sure this is a bug. 😉

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just downloaded VMware-player-7.0.0-2305329.exe and installed it under Windows 7 x64 and had no problems with it automatically detecting that VMware Tools for the Guest OS installed needed to be downloaded and downloaded it successfully.  That said, have you tried?: Player > File > Preferences... > Download All Components Now

Maybe something is blocking you from downloading the VMware Tools.

You could also do it manually using the following VMware Tools for VMware Player 7.0.0.

Untar the file and then execute the resultant executable and it will silently install the file without any indication that it actually did as that is not really then intended way to do it although it does work! Smiley Wink

excelsi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great, thanks for this workarround!

0 Kudos
notesjj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my case the proxy was blocking the files in the first attempt (Error:

"Corrupt file received from update server. ..."). So i tried the next day