VMware Communities
robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player works on internal network but not on public

Hey guys, I am trying to get the SourceForge Enterprise Edition 4.4 working, and it comes with VMware player. I installed it, and it works fine internally (i.e. 192.168.0.209 but I am not able to access it from outside my network. I use a service called "no ip", and can use other applications with it. But I am a bit confused as to how to configure my router to make this work. The documentation for SourceForge lists 3 ports to open and forward (22, 25, 443) so I forwarded them to 192.168.0.209. But when I access the site using my.domain.com:443 (or 22/25) the site is not found.

I have never tried doing this with vmware, so maybe it is something basic. Anyone have any ideas? BTW, the OS for SourceForge is CentOS. Again, it all works fine using 192.168.0.209 on my internal network.

Thanks for the help guys.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor

I can also ping 192.168.0.209 from multiple PC's and it works fine. Did I also need to make any changes to the vmx file?

0 Kudos
robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor

Based on the screen shot I just posted, I believe I have the correct changes on vmnetcfg.exe. And the application works fine internally. I just cannot access it from outside my network. I can give you the url I am using to access it if that would help.

0 Kudos
robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor

Ulli, I ran a tool to show which ports are being used. I am including a screen shot here.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I just cannot access it from outside my network.

You have a router that connects to the internet and a local network behind the router ?

You want to access the VM from the internet ?

check out this website https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

it can tell you which ports are open to the public when you let it scaN The IP of your router

robmypro99
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Looking into it. I really appreciate your help. Getting closer.

0 Kudos