VMware Communities
MrRic
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player unrecoverable error: (vcpu-1)

The full error is this:

==============================================================================================

VMware Player unrecoverable error: (vcpu-1)

Unrecoverable memory allocation failure

A log file is available in "<path>\<vm name>\vmware.log".

You can request support.

To collect data to submit to VMware technical support, run "vm-support".

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

===========================================================================================

I've looked in the log and seen nothing that, to me, would help.   I can't run "vm-support" because I get "There is no engine to run .vbs programs."

I have for a decade ran multiple VMware Players.  For the last couple of weeks, this seems to randomly occur on a VMware Player and hitting OK closes THAT (and only that) VMware Player.  The rest are untouched.  I can then run another instance of VMware Player and restart that same VM.

I've been plagued by this little message from every couple of days to multiple times a day for a couple weeks.  I've reinstalled VMware Workstation Pro v15.5.7 and have "repaired" as well.  I've also did maintenance on all my currently used VM's and split the vmdk on all to alleviate hard drive fragmentation (my VM HD is solid state, 1TB).

Anyone got any ideas how to stop this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Lylio
Contributor
Contributor

This exact same issue has been happening to me recently, and I've used this VM software for years without any kind of fault. I have 32GB of DDR5 RAM and a RTX 3080ti GPU.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You mean you also get this error which has this particular tidbit?

Unrecoverable memory allocation failure
A log file is available in "<path>\<vm name>\vmware.log".

I don't know, but perhaps it might help to attach that log file?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
marcobaudo
Contributor
Contributor

anche io ho lo stesso errore da qualche giorno e non trovo soluzione sul web

0 Kudos
MrRic
Contributor
Contributor

Wila,

Nope.  Never got that message.  Only thing I got was what I put in the title.

0 Kudos
MrRic
Contributor
Contributor

Marco,

I don't even know what language you are typing in, so I don't know how to translate it.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

... 2 years later ...

@MrRic wrote:

Wila,

Nope.  Never got that message.  Only thing I got was what I put in the title.

Ummm... I copied that part from your original post?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
MrRic
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE:

1. An update in VMware Workstation Pro and VMware Player fixed the problem (I think).

2. The side problem of { I can't run "vm-support" because I get "There is no engine to run .vbs programs." }, I found a solution to with the exact same problem using another program.  I use Notepad++ and because I store copies of all my VBA for future use/reference I had registered extensions *.vb and *.vbs to it and that was a mistake.  Clearing those two file associations and only leaving *.txt cleared the 'no engine' problem.

0 Kudos
MrRic
Contributor
Contributor

Ah.  I thought that you were reference a separate error.

Yes, you copied out of my error listing, but it was only ever 1 error display, not a separate one for the memory.

I should have come back and put up an update when it stopped happening at the time and thus could have given a better explanation.

I got back to this because I'm cleaning up email and found one amongst all the crap that said that Marco had responded. 😞

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

No problem.

I was a bit surprised by the reply due to it being so much later. It is more common that it gets replied by someone else with a "me too" reply.

The thing that counts is that your problem is resolved and it appears that way.

So "carry on" I'd say.

--
Wil

0 Kudos