kemoka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware-Player on FC6 and XDMCP

Hi,

This is my environment:

I am testing vmplayer under linux FC6.

I connect to the server via a XDMCP session, using Xming on my Windows XP Pro laptop.

I have installed and configured VMware-player-1.0.3-34682.i386.rpm.

I have several issues with this setup and tried to resolve them by myself without luck, I hope someone can give me some pointers to resolve this! Smiley Happy

1. When I start vmplayer I get the following errors:

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmplayer: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)

Attempt to remove filter function 0x345230 user data 0x8c95578, but no such filter has been added

(vmplayer:23530): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Failed to open session DBUS connection: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Volume monitoring will not work.

2. In spite of the previous errors, vmplayer starts and I can select a .vmx file. After opening a vmx file I get the following error messages in vmplayer messageboxes:

Message Box 1:

Failed to determine language-specific keyboard mapping. Please see the Web page "http://www.vmware.com/info?id=10" for more information.

Failed to initialize mouse-keyboard-screen control.

Message Box 2:

Failed to initialize mouse-keyboard-screen control.

3. From here, I can see the vmplayer window resizing (indicationg activity, as far as I know) but it is black all the time

Is this a FC6 problem, vmplayer setup problem, XDMCP problem? Can some1 help?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dlnn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem using X forwarding from a suse 10.2 system.

I solved it by adding the line

xkeymap.usekeycodeMap = "TRUE"[/b]

in the file ~/.vmware/preferences[/i].

I found the solution here:

\[url]http://www.directfb.org/index.php/mailinglists/directfb-users/2003/09-2003/msg00118.html[/url].

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
alelievre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

1. you should try to updatae your libpng package.

2. I have experienced some similar problems, the only solution I found was to not use FC6 has host, this OS becomes very unstable with VMware products, specialy with keyboards.

3. duno

kemoka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for reply, alelievre Smiley Happy

Your post was helpfull tracking down the problem with libpng, in fact, it seems to me vmplayer uses the libpng that is shipped in the RPM, it stopped giving the error after I renamed the lib giving it an .old extension and creating a symlink to the system libpng.

The major problem however still persists.

1. If I connect to my server using Xming XDMCP session, I get the keyboard/mouse errors and the player window is always black, although I can see it resizing (a common behaviour during machine boot up)

2. If I login into the server's console directly (same user), vmplayer does not give any keyboard/mouse errors and I can see the virtual machine operating normally!

It seems that for some reason vmplayer cannot hook to the the client's (remote) screen, mouse and keyboard, thus giving the error and black screen all the time.

Do you think this is a XDMCP problem or a vmware bug?

Resolutions?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
dlnn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same problem using X forwarding from a suse 10.2 system.

I solved it by adding the line

xkeymap.usekeycodeMap = "TRUE"[/b]

in the file ~/.vmware/preferences[/i].

I found the solution here:

\[url]http://www.directfb.org/index.php/mailinglists/directfb-users/2003/09-2003/msg00118.html[/url].

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kemoka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It worked perfectly, dlnn!

Thank you so much Smiley Happy

0 Kudos