VMware Communities
turbs27
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player now gives "syntax error" message; how do I fix??

About 18 months ago I installed VMware Player on my new laptop, running Windows 7 Professional (and Chome), in order to use an old software program that could not operate on my new 64-bit machine. The VM is running in Windows XP Mode - VMware. Things had been working fine up until about two weeks ago, when I opened VMware Player, the desktop was just a blank screen (except for the small VMware toolbar at the top), the Icon for the program that used to be there was gone; and when I tried to open the file I get this message:  ".......Line 1: Syntax error." Please help; I am not that well versed in computer tech and need "simple" instructions as to how to get things working again.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
39 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Attach the vmware.log file from the folder that contains the files for that VM and one of us will create a new .vmx configuration file from it for you.

0 Kudos
turbs27
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ,

Is this what you are looking for?

Thanks,

Message was edited by: a.p. - migrated vmware.log data to an attachment

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The attached "Windows_XP_Mode.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows XP Mode.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Player closed, unzip (double-click) the attached "Windows_XP_Mode.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows XP Mode.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos
turbs27
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ,

Do I delete the original "windows XP Mode.vmxf" file first?

Thanks

P.S. Sorry if I sent the log info. in the wrong method, but like I said, I am not as computer literate as some. 

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The original is damaged and useless... so just follow the directions previously posted! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
turbs27
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ,

I did a "copy and replace file" with the zipped file you sent; unfortunately, nothing has changed, I still get the same "syntax error" message.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

turbs27 wrote: I did a "copy and replace file" with the zipped file you sent; unfortunately, nothing has changed, I still get the same "syntax error" message.

Did you unzip the file first or did you just copy the attached file into the VM's folder?  You need to follow the directions I previously posted and when you replace the file if you haven't  deleted the original you should be prompted if you want to replace it and the answer is of course yes.

0 Kudos
turbs27
Contributor
Contributor

I think you are correct; It looks like I needed to "Extract" the file you attached after I downloaded it? However, I just did that, and still no success, same error massage and same blank desktop. 

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you are still getting a "Line 1: Syntax error" then the VM has not even started yet! and you have not properly replaced the original .vmx file with the one previously attached!  I don't think there is anything else I can do for you since you seem unable to unzip a file and overwrite the original with the one in the .zip file.   If there is no User Data stored in the VM that you need because you've been properly backing it up off of the VM then the only other suggestion I have is to delete the existing Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine and recreate it again.

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

WoodyZ, I DLed your file, unzipped and open it in NP++.  It does not have this as the first line: .encoding = "windows-1252" as my W7 .vmx has.  Is this what turbs27's Player is complaining about or are XP .vmx files different from W7?

turbs27, you might try editing (Notepad is fine) your .vmx file (WoodyZ sent) and adding this line (.encoding = "windows-1252"), no parentheses, as the first line.  Enjoy, John.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

First of all it doesn't have to have that line in the file I uploaded and even if it did it shouldn't throw a Line 1 Syntax error one way or the other as that .vmx file was created from the vmware.log file which would be the last successful boot.  Secondly, VMware Product's should inject the appropriate .encoding option automatically if it's not present.

Base on turbs27's replies the only thing I see the issue is, is with the user not following directions properly! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

WoodyZ, OK, thanks.

turbs27, please attach a copy of the latest .vmx file you have tried.  You may need to zip it first.  Are you sure you are looking at/changing the correct .vmx file?

Enjoy, John.

Host:Windows 7 Ult x64 Guest:Windows 7 Ult x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64 VMware® Workstation 12 Player 12.1.0 build-3272444
0 Kudos
turbs27
Contributor
Contributor

John,

The file you requested is attached. Sorry I was away from my computer for a bit and could not reply sooner.

Thanks,

turbs27

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

turbs27, thanks.  I see nothing wrong with this file and do not have an idea why Player is complaining if it is using this file.  I am no expert on the .vmx contents and I hope someone else will take a look at yours.  How are you starting Player?  If you have not tried, double click the Windows XP Mode.vmx file.  It should open in player, if not (maybe opens in notepad) then right click the file and click "Open with" and select VMware Player.  If you get an error, please post a screen shot of it.  In your first post you said when you opened VMware Player you got "the desktop was just a blank screen (except for the small VMware toolbar at the top)...".  If you see this again, please post a screen shot.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

johnhc wrote: In your first post you said when you opened VMware Player you got "the desktop was just a blank screen (except for the small VMware toolbar at the top)...".  If you see this again, please post a screen shot.

If turbs27 is getting a "Line 1: Syntax error" then the VM has not even started yet! and there is no way whatsoever VMware Player is getting to a blank Guest OSes Desktop and is probably miss-describing the issue and your suggestion of a screen shot would certainly help.

Additionally what would be very helpful are the .log files from both the VM and %TEMP% along with a file listing of the VM showing file-names, file-sizes and date/time stamp.  As in the redirected output of the dir command to a filelist.txt file from a Command Prompt.

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks, WoodyZ, maybe we can get a handle on this.  Really strange with the file attached above.  When I DL it with Free Download Manager (FDM) the file name is Windows%20XP%20Mode.vmx and if I right click the attachment and click "Copy shortcut"  I get "http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/2159224-100244/Windows%20XP%20Mode.vmx".  But DLing with IE9 or Chrome I get a file name of Windows XP Mode.vmx.  I understand that 20 is ASCII for a blank but what is going on? Is this just the funny VMware forum?  What is the real name of the file?  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

johnhc wrote: What is the real name of the file?.

The real name of the file is that what shows in my reply (Re: VMware Player now gives "syntax error" message; how do I fix??) and was derived from the '... Config file: ...' line in the vmware.log file.  BTW The name is "Windows XP Mode.vmx". Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
johnhc
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

WoodyZ, thanks, what I am asking is why does the name contain the %20 stuff in the DL URL in the forum.  Is it possible that the real file name is some how weird?  Really speculating and reaching now!  Hopefully when turbs27 replies we can get some more detail.  BTW in the title of this thread I see &quot where the quotes are (maybe started in post 13).  Do you also?  Enjoy, John.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

if you right click the file and select "copy  link location" the url you copy is:

http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/2159224-100244/Windows%20XP%20Mode.vmx

if you paste that into a browser again you can download the correct file - so dont worry - spaces in filenames are just a bad idea and should have never been allowed.

0 Kudos