VMware Communities
duke4ever
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Player installer not starting at all on win7 enterprise x64

Hi!

My problem is, when I click on the installer nothing happens, UAC asks for permisson, click OK but not even an error message pops up... (same scenario with UAC turned off)

I would like to install the vmware player on Windows 7 Enterprise x64 host (AMD Athlon X2 CPU, HW Virtualization enabled in bios)

This might be a MS bug, I don't know, but extremely annoying Smiley Sad

Any clue would be great!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi

check if you have a process named fixcamera.exe running - if yes - kill it

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi

check if you have a process named fixcamera.exe running - if yes - kill it

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
duke4ever
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, that did the job! Thank you!

(Can you explain pls. why is that process doing this? I suppose it came from the driver cd of the webcam, is this a spyware?)

p.s.: i think I didnt find this solution earlier because I thought it was only a win7 issue, but now searhed for fixcamera and was suprised that this is blocking vmware on almost all windows platforms 😕

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am not sure if fixcamera.exe is spyware - all I know is that it at least has to be classified as uglyware.

As far as I know it does nothing useful and deleting it does no harm

0 Kudos
paaland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just bumbing this post. I had the exact same problem. vmware player, vmware workstation and even the vmware player setup failed to even start on my Windows 7 x64 PC. I even tried renaming a small "hello world" .exe to vmplayer.exe and even that stopped working.

I found fixcamera.exe (in c:\windows\) to be the culprit and a when I knew the answer a google search lead me here.

The app was installed along with the drivers for a USB microscope I bought on DealExtreme.com. Other than deleting all processes names vmware*.exe amd vmplayer*.exe I don't know that the files does. I scanned it with various antivirus and antimalware apps but nothing found.

0 Kudos
mijail201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I ended up in this discussion after browsing for sometime looking for a solution.

The installer window just freezes empty and does nothing (so basically I would say it doesn't start). I have to kill it manually. I heva looked for the process fixcamera.exe mentioned in previous answers but it is not running and not even in my hard drive.

Any other posible solution?

Thanks,

J.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

read my howto carefully

http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?solution_id=1113

0 Kudos
mijail201110141
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

thank you for the tips. I have carefully followed the instructions in your page but still get the blank splash screen and nothing happens...

I have looked in the VM install log file and found this in the last 4 lines (the rest seem ok)

20110819132408:INFO    CBootstrapCmd::LuaUIShow: calling StartSequence('splash')
20110819132408:INFO    CHtmlUI::StartSequence: About to Run UI Sequence splash 00000124 02040568 1
20110819132408:INFO    CHtmlUI::StartSequence: Running UI Sequence splash
20110819132408:ERROR** CHtmlDialog::CallJScript: Failed to obtain required required jscript ID; COM Error: -2147352570

I hope this gives you more info to help me solve the issue.

Best regards and thanks again,

J.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

extract the installer and then launch the MSI directly

0 Kudos
mijail201110141
Contributor
Contributor