VMware Communities
Clawzx
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player, i need serious help

Okay, hey guys.

I play this game hostilespace, its free to play, with the option to pay.

I need help, i am on vista currently, and i am unable to double log. (LOG two characters at once, from different accounts)

People on regular windows xp can do it, using run as, and running it in a different user.

I am wanting to download windows xp and use internet explorer in the VMplayer, to play this game through it.

But i'm not sure what windows xp thing to download which will let me use internet explorer, please guys i really need the help

-Clawzx, any feed back will be really helpful.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. Your discussion has been moved to the VMware Player forum.

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
Clawzx
Contributor
Contributor

basically all i need to do is be able to run internet explorer on the Vmplayer is that possible?

0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

You cannot just run internet explorer in player, you will need an operating system on a virtual disk as well. Ok not entierally correct as it is possible to run windows from a cd as well (preistallation environments). Pebuilder and winbuilder will let you do that, and desent build will let you do what you asked for. These iso images/cd's don't need a virtual disk.

Not sure if I understood question correct, but if it's a matter of just running internet explorer as a different version, then ThinApp is able to to it for you.

Joakim

Clawzx
Contributor
Contributor

I've downloaded both ;

Workstation for Windows 32-bit and 64-bit

**VMware ThinApp 4.0.1

How do i install internet explorer on to the program so that i can open up a webpage and download my game on to it?

If i am able to double log on my game, with help you supply me, i will credit you £10, if you have pay pal etc.

-Clawzx

0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

Maybe the answer is as easy as;

If you want it the workstation way, then it takes a little bit of time to install a new operating system (xp) into a new virtual machine. In workstation start the "New virtual machine" wizard. Make a standard one. When finish, edit the virtual machine and change the cdrom to the iso image you have. Then power on.

Joakim

0 Kudos
Clawzx
Contributor
Contributor

will i have to download Vmplayer for the thinapp and xp workstation to work?

or is it only those two which i need to doanload

0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

A little bit of clarafication;

ThinApp is an application virtualizor. VMware Workstation is an operating system virtualizor, where you install an operating system to a new machine. Player is a simplified application that will let you run the virtual machine. Workstation is a lot more powerful and let you do lots more. Thinapp can be run both on your real/physical machine as well as in a virtual machine.

Good luck virtualizing.

Joakim

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Workstation can allow you to run in unity mode which would basically present an IE browser but run under the virtual machine, but then again you need to install another version of windows for that to work. You might also want to look at this - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc300361.aspx which allows you to do what the people on XP are doing by running it as a different user.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
Clawzx
Contributor
Contributor

this is so frustrating.. ..

ive installed thinapp and the workstation.. but when u press new virtual machine, it asks u to either browse or enter a CD. i dont have a CD for windows... otherwise i wouldnt be doing this. so what do i browse on....

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you don't have another copy of Windows or the install cd you can't create a VM, basically meaning any product of VMware isn't going to help you if you want to use Windows due to licensing. If its only web browser based you could try using linux and you can download appliances prebuilt out if you're not a linux person - http://www.vmware.com/appliances/

Did you try using the tool to use the "run as" command?

• Kyle

0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

It can still be done without a product cd, if you go through vmware converter and do a p2v conversion.

But then again, you had vista on physical and wanted xp in virtual, so forget it. You will get vista in a vm then.

Joakim

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

And assuming he doesn't have a Dell / HP / etc.. type of box which uses OEM licensing since once he p2v's his box its going to void his license on the VM and possible on his physical computer. The p2v will cause way too many changes and will prompt for re-activation.

• Kyle

0 Kudos
Clawzx
Contributor
Contributor

The 'run as' doesnt work on vista, as there isn't an option to run it from a different user like there is on the xp..

it just says 'run as administrator' thats it.

0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

What Kyle referred to was the shellrunas utility that we both have refernced. Download from the links provided.

Joakim

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you install ShellRunas and execute it with the /reg argument as in shellrunas /reg then you will have Run as different user... on the context menu as in the image below.

0 Kudos
Clawzx
Contributor
Contributor

i installed it. when i press it comes up with -- see attachment --

I dont get an option, even though i have two administrator users, to 'run as a different administrator' when i right click on thing?

whys that

im on vista

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

So did you, as specified by the hep screen you posted, execute that ShellRunAs program from a command prompt with the parameter /reg, in order to register the shell extension?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

i installed it. when i press it comes up with -- see attachment --

I dont get an option, even though i have two administrator users, to 'run as a different administrator' when i right click on thing?

whys that

im on vista

If you want ShellRunas to appear on the Shell Context Menu with the entry of "Run as different user..." as in the image I posted of a right-click on the Internet Explorer Executable in Windows Vista in Windows Explorer then you need to run the ShellRunas Executable with the /reg argument so as to register ShellRunas to be use on the Shell Context Menu. One you've properly installed ShellRunas it will work in that context otherwise you would have to run ShellRunas each time you wanted to use it with other arguments listed in the image you posted.

Put the ShellRunas.exe in the Windows folder and then click Start and type shellrunas /reg in the Search Box and press Enter and the click Agree and then click OK. Look at the attached image.

0 Kudos
Clawzx
Contributor
Contributor

I don't technically want to run internet explorer anymore using a different user. I want to run a game using a different user but it uses roughly the same thing. If i'm able to get that 'run as different user' up when i rght click the HSclient (gaming client) then i should be able to do it.

I try and install it... i press it and the message just keeps popping up.. the attached image on last post.

ive type /shellrunas/reg in like you did, and pressed enter, nothing came up...

I don't think its properly installed? i extracted everything though..

0 Kudos