GodivaRides
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player file won't transfer from External drive to C drive

I have previously d/l  VMware Player to run various programmes on XP such as OE6 (not interested in replacements thank you) that will not run on 64 bit  Windows 7 (which I hate).

My Acer was defective  so I had to back up everything on an external drive .... trying to ensure I had  the VM files with info in it ... all seemed good.

I d/l VMware Player  again on my new HP, copied all my files from the external drive onto the C drive (which are functioning fine) and then dropped the VMware folder containing its contents into the newly loaded VMware  Player file ... tried to open my VM except I was told I didn't have permission  to do so  .. and that the path was wrong or syntax error.

I have tried numerous times to open the files but to no avail, finally I opened VMware Player on C drive then opened the E drive to access the files where the folder is safely stored and run it from the external drive - works perfectly.  Except I want all my info on the laptop and then perform regular back ups.

How are these VMware folders suppose to be set up?  Should I d/l the VMware Player on the external drive and transfer together?

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

if the VM runs from the external drive but not when copied to the local drive, then either the files got corrupted during copying or the NTFS permissions on the local drive are not ok.

Can you please attach the vmware.log - if created - from the VM's folder on the local drive?

André

0 Kudos
GodivaRides
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Andre

thank you for your reply ... going crazy ... now for some strange reason, the VM screen is hung up on the black WINDOWS XP screen and I can't exit it or reboot it.  It is frozen ... I have tried deleting the VMware exe and reinstalling, then tried repairing ... but it is possible and likely the hang up is actually occuring on the EXTERNAL drive files .... not sure what to include - here is the snapshot of the EXTERNAL drive folders for VMware that I could access now I can't get past the WINXP black screen ... Sandra

1812732.png

0 Kudos
GodivaRides
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andre

Thank you for your welcome ... initally I had great success in easily installing and using VMware player .. so happy that I could access my files that 64 bit Windows 7 wouldn't allow me to ... btw aren't tools suppose to work for you? I'm uncertain if you can see the entire listing on C drive .. it may take another screen shot for the rest of the lisitng.

1812732_1.png