VMware Communities
Koozwad
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player exclusive fullscreen mode

*Apologies, but I'm not sure where to post this question.

How do you enter exclusive fullscreen mode in the VMware player? Can't seem to find it. Also not talking about the regular maximised fullscreen, which is not fullscreen at all but closer to a borderless window. I've looked around for a bit and some folks are talking about a 'view' menu but I don't see that. Using the latest v16.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A moderator should be along to move your thread, the {code} area is for SDK matters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
leijonamieli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Keyboard shortcut:

Ctrl+Alt+Enter

At least Player shows a menu "Virtual Machine" --> "Enter Full Screen"

After changing to full screen, you might still need to configure the resolution on the guest system.

0 Kudos
Koozwad
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, Ctrl+Alt+Enter is doing nothing for me. I am aware there is an 'Enter full screen mode' button at the top bar but that only puts it into a borderless window. I am wondering how to switch to real (exclusive)full screen.

0 Kudos
leijonamieli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How about the menu selection?

"Virtual Machine" --> "Enter Full Screen"

0 Kudos
leijonamieli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you're using Player on Windows, the menu item is actually "Player"-->"Full Screen"

Latest documentation:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Player-for-Linux/index.html

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Player-for-Windows/index.html

0 Kudos
Koozwad
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I am using the Player on Windows(host). On the same bar where it says 'Player' it has a button that puts the VM in a borderless window('Enter full screen mode'). This is not what I'm looking for - I'm looking for exclusive fullscreen.

0 Kudos
leijonamieli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sorry that I did not know about a specific function "Exclusive Mode".

I checked the Workstation Pro documentation and it was mentioned there. Maybe Exclusive Mode is only available on the Workstation Pro.

Koozwad
Contributor
Contributor

Well thanks for trying to find out anyway. Would be quite strange if it's only available on Workstation Pro. Very basic feature...

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Hmm.. it might exist for vmware player, but I forgot. Also not seeing it right now in the documentation, not even for workstation. If someone wants to refresh my memory on that.. I'd be happy to take a look.

However.. not all is lost.

Have a look at vmware-kvm.

It is a binary in the same folder as vmplayer and that one does give you a real full screen mode without borders.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Koozwad
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I will look into KVM.

EDIT: I've successfully opened the VM using KVM. Expected some higher performance in fullscreen 3d applications but the performance was unchanged(down to the frame). This makes me wonder if it is real fullscreen or just borderless window again, except this time without the bar at the top.

0 Kudos