VMware Communities
High78
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player - blue screen

I have downloaded latest VMware Player and installed it on my computer (sony vaio vgn-fz) because I would like to install XP mode. When I try to run the VMware Player I get blue screen with some errors related to "ti21sony.sys" and the laptop starts to dump the memory and then it restarts. If I start the program in safe mode it is working. Can someone please help? All other programs are working OK. My operating system is windows 7.

Thank you in advance!

5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what is "ti21sony.sys" good for ?

something related to USB ?

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
ftballpack
Contributor
Contributor

I am actually getting the same error. I just recently formatted my sony vaio vgn-cr320e and installed Windows 7 x64 professional with the latest Windows 7 x64 drivers from Sony onto the computer. I installed VMware workstation and was able to successfully open it once. From that time on when I attemptee to open VMware workstation or VMware player I get an instant BSOD (blue screen of death). The memory dump blames it on a "ti21sony.sys" driver that is installed on my computer.

After doing a fair amount of googling I discovered that the "ti21sony.sys" driver is for the texas instruments sony memory stick reader / sd stick reader.

This is the link I found out what the ti21sony.sys driver is:

http://dllinfo.dll-free-download.org/t/83567-ti21sony.sys.html

This is the driver I installed on my Windows 7 professional x64 that keeps causing problems with VMware.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNCR320E&upd_id=5647&os_id=47

I previously had a dual boot Windows XP professional and Windows 7 professional x32 that I upgraded from Windows Vista Business Professional x32. I had never had problems with VMware workstation or VMware player before but now that I am attempting to use it under Windows 7 X64 with this driver from Sony, my computer just bombs and instantly BSOD's.

0 Kudos
ftballpack
Contributor
Contributor

To add onto my previous post I disabled the "Texas Instruments™ PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller" using the Windows 7 x64 professional device manager. Now that I have done that, I can successfully open and use VMware workstation. It would seem that the driver that Sony is putting out is definetly conflicting with VMware Workstation 7.1 and VMware Player 7.1.

I am guessing here but, I think this might be a memory conflict, causing the BSOD.

I am sure other's may also be having these same problems, so I thought I should post this on here. Hopefully VMware will be able to address this in their next version update or maybe (fingers crossed) Sony will update their drivers.

RobVT
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here, Sony vgn-sz491n laptop. Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit. VMware Workstation 7.1.1 build 282343. Disabled "Texas Instruments™ PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller" as noted by ftballpack and it doesn't bsod anymore. Thanks for the tip.

SiZiOUS
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Sorry for bumping this (very) old thread, but I found the complete solution for this issue (based on the posts here and many searchs on the Net).

When you search "ti21sony.sys + vmware" on Google the first link is pointing here...

I hope this will help someone.

I'm using the Sony VAIO VGN-FZ38M laptop with Windows 7 x64 installed (btw, if you want to know how to install Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8 on this laptop, click here).

The first thing to do is to update the Texas Instruments™ PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller (ti21sony.sys) to the 2.0.0.19 version.

I personnally use the 2.0.0.20 driver with no specific issues at all, but it need to be unpacked with UniExtract for installing it (so it's more complicated...).
Please note that the updated version doesn't solve the VMware installation issue, but it's always better to have updated drivers.

Before installing VMware, like people already said, you must disable the driver in the Devices Manager.

To do that, just right-click on the My Computer icon (if you don't have it, read this) then select Manage.

On the new window opened, click on Devices Manager then disable the Texas Instruments™ PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller by right-clicking on it.

You can now install any VMware product.

After the installation done, you can re-enable the Texas Instruments™ PCIxx12 Integrated FlashMedia Controller driver again.

So you can enjoy VMware on your VAIO with Windows 7 x64 and with the memory card reader working !

PS : If you need Intel VT-x technology enabled for running some virtual machines, click here (use this guide at your own risks !).

I personnally did it and it works like a charm.

0 Kudos