VMware Communities
servertamer
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player: Kernel headers not found

Hello,

has anybody installed the VMware Player on Oracle Linux successfully?

I would like to run a virtual machine on OL 8.4 using the VMware Player and not Oracle’s VirtualBox.

I installed the VMware-Player-16.1.2-17966106.x86_64.bundle

on an Oracle Linux Server VERSION="8.4" ($ uname -r à 4.18.0-305.10.2.el8_4.x86_64) without any failures.

Running the vmplayer I get the Message window:

„Before you can run VMware, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel.

Kernel Headers 4.18.0-305.10.2.el84.x8664

Kernel headers for version 4.18.0-305.10.2.el84.x8664 were not found.

If you installed them in a non-default path you can specify the path below “

The headers are installed already:

$ rpm -qa | grep kernel-headers

kernel-headers-4.18.0-305.10.2.el8_4.x86_64

below several subdirectories:

$ rpm -ql kernel-headers-4.18.0-305.10.2.el8_4.x86_64

for example:

/usr/include/linux

but none of the paths was accepted by the player.

The Player ‘s message is:
„C header files, matching your running kernel where not found. Refer to your distribution’s documentation for installing instructions. “

The VMware Player seems to look for the headers in /usr/src, but these’re empty.

Because CentOS 8.x is comparable with Oracle Linux and listed as Supported host operating systems for Workstation Player 16.x (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/80807), I tried this installation on CentOS 8.4 too.

The messages are similar:

„Before you can run VMware, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel. “

> Install > Compiling and installing following kernel modules …

vmmon
vmnet

„Unable to install all modules. See log /tmp/vmware-root/vmware-10672.log for details. (Exit code 1) “

Does anybody know, what has to be done to get the player running on Oracle Linux or where to find the mentioned instructions?

Please have a look at the attached log file regarding the CentOS installation. 

0 Kudos
0 Replies