VMware Communities
alert101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware Player 5, virtualize Intel VT-x option missing

I just updated VMware Player from version 4 to 5. Previously I had the "Virtualize Intel VT-x" option available (but not enabled). Now that I updated Player, that option is missing (and I'd need that now). I think I need to upgrade the hardware version of the VM to version 9, but how do I do that? I don't have WorkStation 9 and vCenter Converter doesn't support WS9/Player 5 yet.

Guest is Win7 x64. VT-x enabled in host BIOS.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like you fell through the cracks.  Virtualized hardware-assisted virtualization is technically part of hardware version 9.  Your hardware version 8 VM would have been grandfathered in if it had VHV enabled, but since it didn't...

I believe you can get around this by manually editing the .vmx file and changing virtualHW.version from 8 to 9.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like you fell through the cracks.  Virtualized hardware-assisted virtualization is technically part of hardware version 9.  Your hardware version 8 VM would have been grandfathered in if it had VHV enabled, but since it didn't...

I believe you can get around this by manually editing the .vmx file and changing virtualHW.version from 8 to 9.

0 Kudos
alert101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Setting the HW version manually to 9 made the "Virtualize VT-x" option appear. After enabling it, I managed to install Intel HAXM (wasn't possible before), so apparently the virtualization pass-through works.

Also, the Android emulator (in the guest OS) now reports Intel HAX running. However, the Intel x86 system image is still very (extremely) slow. I think the emulator is unable to take advantage of the virtualized hardware or something...

Do I have to reinstall VMware Tools after I enable VHV?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

alert101 wrote:

Do I have to reinstall VMware Tools after I enable VHV?

No.

I haven't played with Intel HAXM.  It may not be very friendly for nested virtualization.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can I ask you to upload your vmware.log file, so that I have the necessary information to file a bug report?

0 Kudos
alert101
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I e-mailed them to you.

0 Kudos