VMware Communities
ericwebb
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 5.0.2 on Slackware 14 host - installation trouble?

Hello - I'm trying to install Player 5.0.2 on a headless Slack 14 system.  I am invoking the installer as root with the '--console' parameter to eliminate some of the GTk failures I see in /var/log/vmware-installer.   The install proceeds until the 'USB Arbitrator' step and then appearrs to hit a problem and rolls back the entire install.  Any ideas?

[.....Kernel Build stuff is here, looks ok to me....]

Starting VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor[  OK  ]
   Virtual machine communication interface[  OK  ]
   VM communication interface socket family[  OK  ]
   Blocking file system[  OK  ]
   Virtual ethernet[  OK  ]
   VMware Authentication Daemon[  OK  ]
   Shared Memory Available[  OK  ]

[2013-05-22 17:34:50,078] Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
Using 2.6.x kernel build system.

[2013-05-22 17:34:50,092] Successfully installed kernel modules
[2013-05-22 17:34:51,542] Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/tmp/vmis.6REF3B/install/vmware-installer/vmis/core/remoteinstaller.py", line 301, in MessageIn
    ret = method(*args, **kwargs)

File "/tmp/vmis.6REF3B/install/vmware-installer/vmis/core/installer.py", line 397, in RegisterFile
    return self.proxyObject.RegisterFile(filename, mtime=mtime, fileType=fileType)

File "/tmp/vmis.6REF3B/install/vmware-installer/vmis/core/localinstallerops.py", line 372, in RegisterFile
    db.files.Add(regfile, mtime, ftype, self._component.uid)

File "/tmp/vmis.6REF3B/install/vmware-installer/vmis/db.py", line 33, in decorator
    raise IntegrityError(unicode(e))

IntegrityError: column path is not unique

[2013-05-22 17:34:51,548] [vmware-usbarbitrator 10.1.23] Installation failed, rolling back installation.
[2013-05-22 17:34:51,778] [FAILED]

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just an FYI... Slackware is not a supported Host (or Guest) OS.

0 Kudos
ericwebb
Contributor
Contributor

I figured as much, but that's not the reason for this failure..

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I did't say it was however it is not unusual to have issues installing on unsupported Hosts.  You might actually find more help in the Slackware community then here as that tends to be the case with some unsupported OSes.

0 Kudos
rackzo
Contributor
Contributor

You should also use the parameter --ignore-errors and you won't have any of those issues. Nevertheless if you are not using Slackware-Current, I suggest you to use VMWare Player 5.0.1

Also you might like to add the following lines to your rc.local in order to run vmware services at boot time.

#VMWARE

/etc/init.d/vmware start

#USB Vmware

/usr/bin/vmware-usbarbitrator

(USB Daemon is not started automatically, and this is the reason why the installer fails. However it can work like  a charm if you start it manually)

Hope this help you out...Smiley Happy

There is an URL to a Slackware Community on G+

https://plus.google.com/communities/104043194426129544738

0 Kudos