VMware Communities
glenikins
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 5.0.0 - Switching between multiple VMs

Hi there,

I've just started using version 5 of Player, and try as I might I've been unable to figure out how to switch between multiple full-screen VMs on a single host.  Previous versions have had a couple of handy arrow symbols on the filp-down menu at the top of the screen, which allowed you to skip between however many VMs you had running.  This facility seems to have disappeared in the new version.

Can anyone help..?!

Thanks,

Glen

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlanaA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There's a thread about this here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/2103908

Apparently they went missing on Linux hosts since 4.0. Now, in 5.0, they're also missing on Windows hosts. Not sure why they removed a feature when no one was complaining about having it.

0 Kudos
DerekShaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was bitten by this with the uprade to Player 4/Workstation 8.  I was hoping VMware would wake up and fix what they broke.

Now I have a bunch of clients that are stuck on player 3 'cause they run a pair of full-screen applications (to support legacy mission-critical apps)..

I suspect there is a pointy-haired boss at work here.  Anti-features have worked so well for Microsoft that everybody wants to be like them. I say this because I solved the problem for one user (where I  mistakenly upgraded the VM hardware before I discovered the problem with  the mssing arrows) by purchasing the vmware workstation 8 for that user.   VMware workstation has the arrows, but it also has a lot of ther stuff the user doesn't need (and really doesn't want), that can't be hidden/disabled, and it has generated a couple of needless support calls because of all the extra bells and whistles.

If anyone from VMware is listening -- this is a really, really, good way to get us to look closely at the alternatives.

Full screen is required, multiple VMs are required, multiple monitors are not an option, being forced to purchase software to get a feature that was removed is especially galling (like finding our old friend VMWare server 2.0 bundled with VMware Workstation).

0 Kudos