VMware Communities
SuperSteve123
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 4 - Configuration Help

Using VMware player 4.0 build 471780 on a Windows Vista Ultimate computer to run a host-only network, for a Novell Course 3078, that consists of two Linux virtual servers (DA-CORP and DA-IDM) and a single virtual workstation (DA-SLED).

The course configuration requires I select Host Virtual Network Mapping and select the button beside VMware Network Adapter VMnet1; then select Subnet.  Then it has me enter IP address 172.17.0.0 and subnet mask 255.255.0.0.

Next, it has me go to my Network Connections and select VMnet1 and set the IP Address  in TCP/IP properties as 172.17.12.150, subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and preferred DNS server 172.17.12.101.

Next, I copied the two Linux virtual servers and single virtual workstation to C:\Users\Steven\Documents\My Virtual Machines folder.

Note: I have attached a Zipped file with five screenshots of my setup.

Problem:

When I use the ping command in a terminal window on each machine to test communication between all three Virtual Machines I get “network not reachable” error.

DA-SLED                  172.17.12.101 (DA-IDM)

172.17.12.102 (DA-CORP)

DA-CORP                 172.17.12.101 (DA-IDM)

172.17.12.103 (DA-SLED)

DA-IDM                     172.17.12.102 (DA-CORP)

172.17.12.103 (DA-SLED)

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay, I downloaded VMware player 4.0 build 471780 and installed it on a Windows 7 system.  Using the Virtual Network Editor I removed VMnet0 and VMnet8 and set VMnet1 to IP Address 172.17.0.0 and Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0.

Next I started VMware Player and created a Linux Live OS VM named DA-SLED with a Host Only Network Adapter.  I momentarily started it so as to cause VMware Player to add the additional options to the .vmx configuration file primarily to get the assigned MAC Address and then shutdown the VM and closed VMware Player.

Next in Windows Network Connections I changed the default assigned IP Address for VMnet1 to 172.17.12.150, Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0, no Gateway IP Address and Preferred DNS Server to 172.17.12.101.

Next I went into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and stopped VMware DHCP Service.

Next in an Administrative Command Prompt I issued the following command, notepad C:\ProgramData\VMware\vmnetdhcp.conf and edited it as shown in the vmnetdhcp.conf.zip file attached to this reply.  I also deleted the C:\ProgramData\VMware\vmnetdhcp.leases file.

Next I went into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and started VMware DHCP Service.

Next I started VMware Player and the DA-SLED Virtual Machine and in a Terminal verified the IP Address assigned in the vmnetdhcp.conf file was as set in the vmnetdhcp.conf file and then successfully ping'ed the Host's VMnet1 Network Adapter at 172.17.12.150 from DA-SLED at 172.17.12.103.  Then in a Command Prompt on the Host successfully ping'ed the DA-SLED Virtual Machine at 172.17.12.103.

This concludes the Proof of Concept Demonstration.

You should now be able to take the attached vmnetdhcp.conf.zip and either use it or modify yours accordingly while adding a block of code for the other two VM's so each by there MAC Address will have the correct configuration.  This assumes the VM's Network Adapters are configured in the Guest OS to use DHCP or you can properly configure each with static information, you're choice.

Note:  Make sure the Host/Guest Firewalls are configured to allow ICMP Echo Requests (ping).  I also noticed in the ifconfig_Linux_Servers_and_Workstation.JPG that the ifconfig output for two of the VM's was not showing a Network Adapter present and of course you'll need to rectify that.

Let us know how it goes and if you need any additional help.

(Click image to enlarge or right-click Open Link in New Tab for full size.)

Proof_of_Concept_Demonstration.png

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Added image of all four successfully ping'ed.

0 Kudos
SuperSteve123
Contributor
Contributor

I took the attached vmnetdhcp.conf file and copied it too %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware as you suggested but have not yet modified it.

First, I need to know how I check to see if the VM's Network Adapters are configured in the Guest OS to use DHCP?

Also, how to make sure the Host/Guest Firewalls are configured to allow ICMP Echo Requests (ping).

Finally, I checked the ifconfig for DA-CORP and DA-IDM (Linux Virtual Servers)  and was able I believe to add a Network Adapter to DA-CORP only and ping DA-SLED.  I have attached a zipped file with the Linux_Servers and Linux_Workstation Adapter listings and IFCONFIG stats.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

SuperSteve123 wrote: I took the attached vmnetdhcp.conf file and copied it too %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware as you suggested but have not yet modified it.

You cannot just drop that file in place and not modify it appropriately!  The MAC Addresses in that file do not correspond to the Mac Address being used on your system! Smiley Wink

What OS and version are the Guests?  Where did they come from, did you build them or download them from somewhere?

Archive and attach the .vmx configuration file and the .log files for each VM into a single .zip archive and attach it to a reply post.

I'll look at the previously attached file shortly.

0 Kudos
SuperSteve123
Contributor
Contributor

Woody Z,

When I modify the vmnetdhcp.conf file do I just drop in the approproiate lines for the MAC Addresses of each VM (2 Linux Servers and the Linux Workstation) only or do I include the MAC Address of my Vista Ultimate Host PC as well?

I am not sure of the OS and version of the Guests (assuming that Guests mean the Two Linux Virtual Servers and the Linux Workstation). I understand from my training workbook that these VM Servers are SUSE Linux and the VM Workstation is SUSE Linux too. They were provide on DVD by Novell for training purposes during the class. All I had to do was copy the DVD files for each in the path C:\Steven\Documents\My Virtual Machines.

The .vmx configuration file and the .log files for each VM have been Winzipped into a single file and attached to this reply post as you instructed.

Thank you for your continued support in trying to get me up and running with my self-study training.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The attached "vmnetdhcp.conf.zip" file contains the properly edited "vmnetdhcp.conf" file reflecting the correct MAC Address from the vmware.log files and IP Address shown in the OP, etc. for VMnet1 and the three VM's and you can use this one as is and it should work.

Don't forget to stop the VMware DHCP Service before replacing the file and then starting the VMware DHCP Service afterwards.  Also delete the C:\ProgramData\VMware\vmnetdhcp.leases file before restarting the service. Smiley Wink

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Originally posted, Dec 18, 2012 10:39 PM.  Updated vmnetdhcp.conf.zip file.

0 Kudos
SuperSteve123
Contributor
Contributor

I unzipped the "vmnetdhcp.conf.zip" file you attached on your last reply to this post and saved the file to C:\Steven\Documents for safe keeping.

Next, I went into the Computer Management Systems Console of my Vista Ultimate Edition Host PC and stopped the "VMware DHCP Service" as you directed.

Next, I copied the "vmnetdhcp.conf" file you sent me to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\VMware (C:\ProgramData\VMware) and removed the C:\ProgramData\VMware\vmnetdhcp.leases files as you directed from this same area.

Next, I went back into the Computer Management Systems Console of my Vista Ultimate Edition Host PC and started "VMware DHCP Service" but 2-3 seconds lates it just stopped itself again and this pop-up was presented.  Reads "The VMware DHCP Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

Computer_Management_Issue.JPG

Any ideas why this happened or how to correct it?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Use the one attached to this reply.

The other one had...

hardware ethernet 00-50-56-C0-00-01;

and it should have been...

hardware ethernet 00:50:56:C0:00:01;

Had dashes instead of colons in the address.

I must have copied and pasted it from the ipconfig output. :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos