VMware Communities
tbyers
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 4.0 tools update issue

Having trouble with 3 separate player installs (so far), when checking for updated software components.  One of these was an upgrade from 3.1.0, the other 2 were upgrades from 3.1.3.  A fourth machine was also an upgrade from 3.1.3, but it does not experience this issue.  Installing VMware Player 4.0.0 build-471780.

When attempting to download updated software components (tools), the files appear to download, but the process hangs at the "verifying" stage.  Example,

VMware Tools for Windows 2000 and later - version 8.8.0

Verifying... (65%)

Never progresses, no mater how long you wait.  This also happens with the tool downloads for the other OS's, although it hangs at different percentages.  Can cancel and move past, but the verify's will never complete.  At one point it did throw an error, CDS internal client error (3001), but it only did that once.

No known issues with Internet connectivity, this same process worked fine on previous 3.1.x installs.  I have verified the files in "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player\tools-upgraders" between the 1 working machine and the 3 non-working machines, and they match.  I have manually extraced the VMware Tools setup files (8.8.0 build 471268) from the working machine, and upgraded the XP VM on one of the non-working machines.  Tools upgraded with no issue, but it still wants to go through this download/verify process at next resume.

Also it appears that copy/paste is broken when running apps in Unity mode, have posted that in a response to another discussion thread.

Please advise, thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
llh2392
Contributor
Contributor

I installed VMWare Player 4.0 today (previously running 3.1.4)

I saw the same kind of issue installing the VMWare Tools update as the previous writer reported.

After my Win XP guest hung twice in an hour or so, I uninstalled Player 4.0 and went back to 3.1.4,

which has been rock-solid and has not given me any problems.

I will wait for some improvements to Player 4 before trying it again.

0 Kudos