VMware Communities
ckaye
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 3.x with multiple NICs and bridged networks

I searched this form and google... and FINALLY found this. Hopefully this helps someone.

In the previous desktop free versions you could simply choose which network to bridge if you had more then one NIC. In Player 3.x not so much!

Of course, after my low-tech solution I went looking for

better options… Turns out I’m not the first one to notice that vmnetcfg

went missing. I found discussion and the answer in a form post:

. The vmnetcfg.exe is included in the installer, but won’t
be installed.
1. Run the installer with /e option. For example: VMware-player-3.0.0-197124.exe /e .\extract
All contents will be extracted to “extract” folder.
2. Open “network.cab” and copy vmnetcfg.exe to your installation folder,
typically “C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Player\”.

Come on VMware! Include this!!!!!!!!!!! We love your products and M$ is catching up (as they always do). Expect them to include it as part of an Explorer extension soon.... you'll win the legal battle but lose the war. Oh wait, that was... pretty much everyone they've battled before.

Give us a good desktop solution, we'll buy the corproate version.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ckaye
Contributor
Contributor

!!! ARG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Player 3.1.x.... WHERE IS IT NOW??????????????

0 Kudos
ckaye
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have a solution to this? Player is useless if without a network connection !

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

The simpler workaround is suggested by member Continuum: Install VMware "Lite". Uninstall Player and install VMware Workstation trial, which includes Player. The Workstation installer will install the network editor. The network editor and Player will still work after the 30day trial of Workstation has ended. No need to manually extract anything.

0 Kudos
ckaye
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that... i'll give it a try and report back.

0 Kudos
ckaye
Contributor
Contributor

!!!!! YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY!!

So in the end WorkStation 7.1 auto-detected and uninstalled player as part of the setup. It does come with theVirtual Network Editor "vmnetcfg.exe" and i was able to set the AUTO BRIDGE off and force it to the correct NIC.

THANK-YOU !

0 Kudos