VMware Communities
taylorjes
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 3.1 - Dual NIC, Win 7 (Host), Win XP (Guest) - Bridged Network Issues

Hello,

I'm very new to virtual machines, but I'm willing to learn and read. I've searched for this answer (b/c I know it's out there) for a while. and will continue to, but I though I would just post the question and ask for direction.

Setup:

VMware Player 3.1

Host:

Windows 7 (64-bit)

Dual NIC mobo

- LAN 1 - workgroup (DHCP/router/WAN access)

- LAN 2 - domain (DHCP/domain controller/intranet/WAN) {not connected via domain, but still active}

Guest 1:

Windows XP SP3 {development platform}

host-only

Guest 2:

Windows XP SP3 {domain access}

Bridged {intended to connect only to domain}

I'm trying to connect my second guest to the domain, so i can access (and deploy) development files to the intranet.

I do not see any options to designate which adapter the guest virtual adapter uses for the connection.

Help Please, Thanks Much

-jt

if this is unclear or logs are needed please let me know where and how

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BruceMcMillan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Player does not include the Virtual Network Editor as Workstation does. That being said, I could think of two ways to resolve your problem:

- Edit the .VMX file your VM and change the ethernet0 entries to ethernet1

- Swap the LAN 1 / LAN 2 connection on your host system

taylorjes
Contributor
Contributor

thanks Bruce

I tried editing the .vmx, but that didn't work....

switching the cables worked fine, but I had to keep the adapter active in my host (Windows 7)...

not a big issue, but noted..

I can successfully access my domain and workgroup...

-jt

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

In addition to what was said, if you still want to be able to select which NIC, you can install Workstation as a trial. You will then get the network editor, which you would use to select which NIC you want. Workstation includes Player. Player will continue to function normally after the trial expires. However you will still have access to the network editor and much of the rest of the Workstation GUI. You just can't start VMs from the Workstation GUI. (Acknowldeging forum member Continuum for suggesting this "Workstation Lite" as he calls it.)

0 Kudos