VMware Communities
Staffinator
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 3.0.203739 on the 3.2 Kernel series?

Hi

I am unable to run VMware player 3.0.203739 on a Ubuntu 12.04 LTS system, when attempt to run the program I get the following error message :

"Kernel Headers 3.2.0-23-generic-pae

Kernel headers for version 3.2.0-23-generic-pae were not found. If you installed them in a non-default path you can specify the path below. Otherwise refer to your distribution's documentation for installation instructions and click refresh to search again in default locations."

However while installing the the program I install the essential headers required using the following commands :

sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic

After neither of these commands worked I tried to individually download the kernel-headers in question by using this command :

sudo apt-get install linux-headers- `uname r`, using this I individually tried installing the 3.2.0.23-generic-pae headers, however they seemed to have been installed correctly as nothing else needed to updated/downloaded. So this leads me to wonder is are any of the vmware player 3.x.x. series or lower even compatible with the newer linux kernels?

Any suggestions or ideas as to why this doesn't work? Thanks.

p.s. - The reason I'm forced to use the older players is due to the hardware, it is a pure 32-bit processor and I need to run a couple of Windows 9x-based virtual machines.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Both the  kernel and  the version of Linux Ubuntu are way newer than WS/Player 3 and are probably not supported at all.  The commands you exectued should defintely be sufficent to   install WS 4.x  and the OS is telling you that you  have installed build-essential successfully.   I'm  pretty  sure than WS/Player 4.x  can install and  run on 32 bit machines so for Windows XP guests there would be no problem. .  Is there  a licenssing question ?   You could also try the trial l version of WS player 4.x and see if that fits your needs before purchasing a new or upgrade license.                                                                                                              y

0 Kudos
Staffinator
Contributor
Contributor

Well as far as my understanding goes & feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, the VMware player 4.x.x (& the Workstations have similar constraints?) series only work on 64 bit hardware. I think you can run it on a 32-bit OS running on 64 bit metal however it doesn't seem to work on a 32-bit os with 32-bit hardware. I have some industrial controls which only work on the Windows 9x line, using XP is not feasible. Older VMware players seem to play alot nicer with XP/Vista however there are licensing contraints here, so it's only something I'd try if all options with Linux have been exhausted. Is it possible to run Vmware Player 4 on 32-bit Linux hardware or alternatively has someone managed to get the older Vmware players working on the newer linux kernels?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Staffinator wrote: Is it possible to run Vmware Player 4 on 32-bit Linux hardware

No, it requires a 64-bit CPU with VT-x enabled.

alternatively has someone managed to get the older Vmware players working on the newer linux kernels?

I read posts that say they have so you should be able to Google it.

0 Kudos