VMware Communities
One_Pence
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 2 disables Vista AutoPlay/AutoRun

Does anybody know how to restore the AutoPlay in a Vista host after you install VMware Player 2? Before I installed VMware Player AutoPlay worked fine. While I installed VMware Player it did not ask me if I wanted to disable the AutoPlay like in previous version and now afterwards it does not work.

I tried looking at the control panel options but they say AutoPlay is on and the registry says it's on too yet it no longer AutoPlay's anything.

I have reinstalled Vista to see if it was my fault but it is not as it worked the moment before and then didnt the restart after. Even if I uninstall VMware Player it no longer works.

Note: I'm not talking about AutoPlay in a VM I'm talking about the host.

Note 2: AutoPlay is also called AutoRun

0 Kudos
10 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You should be able to enable it just like other versions of Windows.

This thread maybe help

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=586092&#586092

0 Kudos
One_Pence
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried what you've posted and I've checked the setting as I said above. The registry says '1' for the autorun as well as the rest yet it no longer works after installing the player. Vista is telling me from the settings that it is on but it does work ~ although it did before I installed VMware Player. It seems to 'kill' it.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

What happens if you right click on the CD-ROM drive and select properties when login as the Administrator or with UAC off and configure the "AutoPlay" tab settings?

0 Kudos
One_Pence
Contributor
Contributor

I turned UAC off. There is no AutoPlay tab under the cd-drive>properties tab that option just a General/Hardware/Sharing/Customize/Recording tabs. I always thought there was an AutoPlay tab there. Anyway to restore it?

My DVD-+RW is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K16M

0 Kudos
morpheus79
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I had the same problem but found an solution with an "Microsoft Tool". Use the following tool to resolve the problem.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Windows_XP_Autorun_Repair_Wizard_d4403.html

It works fine with me but you have to restart or log-off your windows after each repair process and you have to repair each drive one by one.

0 Kudos
morpheus79
Contributor
Contributor

additional note:

Sorry the tool doesn't work with Vista (I test it only with XP as I wrote these comment) but I found the key manualy which VMware manipulate to stop the autoplay. You have to open the registry editor and look for the following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware Player\SavedKeys

There you can find the pathes and the values to the registry keys which VMware manipulate (normaly it should be 2 keys). Now you have to set back the both original keys to his original state but not the one which are stored under the VMware path (the original registry entries).

e.g.:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer -> NoDriveTypeAutoRun = 5f

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom -> Autorun = 1

0 Kudos
vmgurl
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issues. I've changed my registry as described, but for the last entry, in addition to autorun being set to 1, I also have the following entry

(not sure what to do with this)

AutoRunAlwaysDisable (values below)

TORiSAN CD-ROM CDR_C36

NEC MBR-7

NEC MBR-7.4

PIONEER CHANGR DRM-1804X

PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-6324X

PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-624X

some guidance please?

0 Kudos
varlien
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Guys, ive gone through all the steps as stated, but i still do have the problem, and it is driving me nuts. and also note that i do also have that extra key called "AutoRunAlwaysDisabled" is that normal? need help..

0 Kudos
varlien
Contributor
Contributor

hey everyone, okay the autoplay seems to be working now, but the autoplay settings in the properties menu of the cd rom is missing, what is wrong????

0 Kudos
varlien
Contributor
Contributor

wait... haha i think im confused. Vista doesnt have that autorun setting in the properties menu anymore does it? im not sure? is it there, or is it jsut the xp thing.

0 Kudos