VMware Communities
wn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Player 2.5 missing VMware Tools

The VMware Player 2.5 installation (at least for Windows) does not include the ISO images for VMware Tools. This is a change from VMware Player 2.0, which did include the ISO images for VMware Tools. This would explain the large size difference between the VMware Player 2.0.5 installer (170 MB) and the VMware Player 2.5 installer (65 MB), as the VMware Tools ISOs were quite large.

Is there any chance that the VMware Tools ISOs could be added back in a future update of VMware Player?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
A20_user
Contributor
Contributor

I'm really happy the Tools are not included, because this makes the download unnecessarily large, especially when you fetch both Win and Linux versions.

Download the Server 2.0 and you get the Tools iso.

0 Kudos
s0m30n3
Contributor
Contributor

--

0 Kudos
djrichard
Contributor
Contributor

I'm really happy the Tools are not included, because this makes the download unnecessarily large, especially when you fetch both Win and Linux versions.

Download the Server 2.0 and you get the Tools iso.

Is there a more direct way than downloading Server 2.0 to get the Tools iso?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Besides downloading one from VMware Workstation? Smiley Wink

I don't think so, but if you need details on the additional steps, then have a look here:

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I don't think so, but if you need details on the additional steps, then have a look here:

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
djrichard
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

--

Wil

Thanks! I'll do that now!

Would be nice if the tools iso was more readily accessible. It looks like it's embedded in VMware Converter, but I haven't been able to find it in the install directories.

I've tried using VMware Converter to convert a Virtual PC (Microsoft) machine twice, and both times ended up having problems with the vmware tools. The 1st time because I neglected to uninstall microsoft's equivalent set of tools. The 2nd time, the converted machine ran into an error when installing the vmware tools from the iso during the first time run.

0 Kudos