VMware Communities
ElectroVM
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 2.5.3 config on linux

I am installing VMware-Player-2.5.3-185404.x86_64.rpm on 64bit Centos 4 update 5. The "getting started guide" says to run vmware-config.pl after, but I get:

vmware-config.pl: command not found

Wherre is the perl script located? or How can I configure player?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
NickH2
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking myself. I can tell you that vmware-config.pl is no longer provided with Wmplayer 2.5.3 . I have found some 'tools' , e.g. vmware-networks' and 'vmware-modconfig' (on SLES 10 I type vmware and then hit tab twice to get a list of all commands starting with vmware). However none of these has proved helpful.

I have seen that VMtools were dropped after version 2.0 . I have looked at version 2 donwloads and from the size they do not look like they contain the tools. Some have suggested downloading VMServer which comes with tools but you have to ask for this and can't just download it. In any case the 'tools' seem to be more about creating images than about configuring VMPlayer.

This may save you some time, if not directly help.

0 Kudos
ElectroVM
Contributor
Contributor

In the getting started guide for 2.5.3 says there is a tool.Maybe there is a tool to install separately?

4 Run the configuration program from the command line:

vmware-config.pl

5 At the prompts, accept the default values.

The configuration program displays a message saying the configuration completed successfully.

do not see the configuration completion message, run the configuration program again.

0 Kudos
NickH2
Contributor
Contributor

I know it does. I have searched the entire server for vmware-config.pl and I do not have it. I have an executable vmware-config in /usr/lib/vmware/setup . That appears to be a utility to get and set 'KEYS' vmware-config --sh lists 10 'Keys' but they look like internal settings to do with module inclusion and I wouldn't like to mess with it.

I have seen threads in other forums also complaing that the manual talks about vmware-config.pl which version 2.5 doesn't come with.

0 Kudos
NickH2
Contributor
Contributor

This link is the most helpful thing I have found so far -

0 Kudos
Czarnoff
Contributor
Contributor

I think they merged the config into the vmplayer executable.

Earlier versions required an install step and a config step before running the executable.

Now you run the installer and then run the executable (vmplayer). If it's the first time you've run vmplayer since the kernel has been updated, it will run the config script. Afterword it just runs the executable.

This has the advantage that a linux kernel can be updated without having to remember to run the config script.

0 Kudos
NickH2
Contributor
Contributor

I can't remember any kind of configuration process happening when I instaled Vmplayer. Do you have to re-install, to re-run the configuration?

0 Kudos
NickH2
Contributor
Contributor

I tried various things. In the end I gave up, uninstalled 2.5.3 installed 2.0.5, ran the vmplayer-config.pl and now everything, including networking works!

The install said my OS was not compitible with key modules but offered to recompile and all worked sucessfully.

0 Kudos
rchin
Contributor
Contributor

thread is 2 weeks old with no definitive replies and still not a single word from VMware ??? sheesh wtf.....

WS 6.5.1-126130 Host: Vista SP1 Guests: Ubuntu 8.04, XP
0 Kudos
Czarnoff
Contributor
Contributor

The configuration doesn't happen at install time, it happens at exectution time. Depending on your configuration, you may need to run vmplayer as root the first time after installation. My steps were:

Step 1: sudo sh <path to installer>\<name of installer>

Step 2: vmplayer &

Step 1 installs everything. Step 2 configures vmplayer and then runs the executable.

Update: My kid bashed the keyboard until the message was submitted.

0 Kudos
NickH2
Contributor
Contributor

I have to admit I had not noticed the & parameter for the vmplayer command. I don't know what & is supposed to do as I am still finding my way around SLES 10.

However I have tried a fresh install and started vmplayer with "vmplayer &" . No difference. No configuration options, no prompts, just straight into vmplayer. The image that had functioning networking under 2.0.5. no longer has functioning networking. Back to 2.0.5

0 Kudos