VMware Communities
spodskubka
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 2.5.0 and system beep

I am using VMware Player 2.5.0 on a Windows Vista 32-bit Host on a Dell Inspiron 9400 Laptop.

I am using a few Ubuntu Linux Guests and these systems have the habit to emit system beeps at certain events, i.e. pressing backspace on an empty bash command line or halting the system.

The Problem is that this Laptop has a very loud system beep and I have found no way to turn it off in Vista so far, so I was looking for a way to configure VMware player to stop passing these beeps from the guest to the host.

In VMware Player 2.0 the solution was to add this line to the file %APPDATA%\VMware\preferences.ini:

mks.noBeep = "TRUE"

In VMware Player 2.5 this stopped working and I banged my head against the wall to find the new solution, which happened just now.

The above line doesn't work anymore in the file preferences.ini, now it has to be inside the .vmx file of the virtual machine.

This is kind of strange, because before it didn't work inside the .vmx file. But actually I think it's better like this, because you can control it per VM now.

I just thought I'd post this here, maybe someone else has the same problem.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The entry still works - put it in config.ini instead if you want to set it for all VMs

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
ni0h
Contributor
Contributor

At least as of 3.0.1 build-227600, that directive is ignored. I had to rmmod the pcspkr driver in my VM.

Easy writeup here:

http://www.dbuggr.com/smallwei/turn-disable-beep-sound-redhat-centos-fedora-linux/

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

it often fails as the users often do not find their config.ini or use the wrong one

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos