VMware Communities
IggyB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Player 15 -- cannot get past (stuck on) the CEIP window.

Hello all:

Just downloaded Player 15.5.1 through the update notification pop-up from 15.5.0.  The installation seems to have gone well (at least the installer told me it was successful).  However, I re-launch Player, hop through the EULA screens and presented with the "Customer Experience Improvement Program" (CEIP).  Regardless of selecting Yes or No, clicking on the "Finish" button does nothing.  The only thing I can do is cancel.

I pulled down the VMware-Player-15.5.1-15018445.x86_64.bundle from the website, verified the hashes, extracted the bundle and ran

VMware-Player-15.5.1/vmware-installer/vmware-uninstall --uninstall-component=vmware-player

to clean up the installation.

I then tried

VMware-Player-15.5.1-15018445.x86_64.bundle --eulas-agreed

which, again, says it installed successfully but again when launching Player I cannot get past the CEIP.

My google-fu has not turned up anything relevant to get around this problem.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IggyB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was running "vmplayer" from my JWM (joewing Window Manager) drop-down.

I decided to run "vmplayer" from commandline instead.  When I clicked on Finish this time, I saw:

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/etc/vmware/hostd/proxy.xml"

==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.policykit.exec ===

Authentication is needed to run `/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-setup-helper' as the super user

Authenticating as: bigige

I corrected this problem by running as "sudo vmplayer" which allowed me to get past the CEIP window.

I exited out, and re-ran "vmplayer" under normal privileges and I am good to go.

So, is requiring root privileges in order to accept the CEIP a bug?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IggyB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was running "vmplayer" from my JWM (joewing Window Manager) drop-down.

I decided to run "vmplayer" from commandline instead.  When I clicked on Finish this time, I saw:

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/etc/vmware/hostd/proxy.xml"

==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.policykit.exec ===

Authentication is needed to run `/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-setup-helper' as the super user

Authenticating as: bigige

I corrected this problem by running as "sudo vmplayer" which allowed me to get past the CEIP window.

I exited out, and re-ran "vmplayer" under normal privileges and I am good to go.

So, is requiring root privileges in order to accept the CEIP a bug?

0 Kudos