VMware Communities
GLwolf
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Player 14 BSoD vmx86.sys

I have just upgraded VMware player to version 14.0.0. I want to run a virtual system i have BSoD where the error causes  \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\vmx86.sys

Version 12.5.7 works without problems. My processor is Pentium Dual Core E2180 2 Ghz. OS Win 64 bit.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

The Pentium E2180 was launched in 2007. This CPU is not supported in version 14.

https://ark.intel.com/products/31733/Intel-Pentium-Processor-E2180-1M-Cache-2_00-GHz-800-MHz-FSB

Version 14 requires that the CPU has Extended Page Table (EPT) and the VMX Unrestricted Guest feature. EPT feature only became available in Nehalem CPUs (2008) while the VMX Unrestricted Guest started only in Westmere CPUs (2010). You need to have both features to have version 14 running VMs; therefore the CPU has to be Westmere or later.

Either use a machine with a CPU with the appropriate features or go back to using 12.5.7 with the Pentium E2180. Note that not all CPUs that have EPT will have VMX Unrestricted Guest (example: Nehalem Bloomfield CPU); while not all CPUs launched after Westmere will have EPT either.

0 Kudos