description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
21 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

HI Ulli,

That looks very much like the remote console as you can find in VMware server... which is normally started via the browser plugin.

However you can start it without going thru the browser too. On linux it is called "plugins/vmware-vmrc" so I guess you can add ".exe" on windows there?

Here's a note I made about it:

Using the remote console directly

It is possible to open the remote console without opening a browser. The option offered by VMware Server is to create a shortcut on your desktop. On linux it works like this: First login to web access and for the machine that you want to generate a shortcut for, click on the "Generate URL" option. Then change the option to "generate a shortcut" option and then instead of generating a normal URL, have it create an icon to your desktop instead. This will access the remote console in a different way and does not go through the browser.

For example on my linux host it created the following launcher:

home/--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
esloof
Expert
Expert

vmware-vmrc.exe

Last year around the summer I created the Virtual Machine MKS Client. It started as sort of a contest with Bouke Groenescheij and eventually matured in a real product. I sold a few copy's of my tool but hadn't the time to keep up with the new active objects from VMware. This week I installed VMware Server 2.0 and while I was wondering around in my program files directory it stroked my eyes. The VMware Remote Console aka vmware-vmrc.exe. I had to do some googeling before I found out what the parameters were, but I got it working. This executable can also be used to take over the Mouse Keyboard and Screen of your VM's running on ESX.

vmware-vmrc -h 192.168.75.128 -m "[Storage1] Nostalgia/Nostalgia.vmx"

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like it is build into vmplayer too - I just don't get the correct syntax ?

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
esloof
Expert
Expert

vmware-vmrc -h 192.168.75.128 -m "[Storage1|http://communities.vmware.com/community-document-picker.jspa?communityID=&subject=Storage1] Nostalgia/Nostalgia.vmx"

http://www.ntpro.nl/blog/archives/676-vmware-vmrc.exe-VMware-Remote-Console.html

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

got it - correct syntax is

why is it necessary to upload an image just to post a correctly formatted line of text ????

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm - spoken to early ...

something is missing - maybe thats why it is not documented ?

First it looks like the screen Eric has posted "powering on..." but then I get

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

vmplayer -h 10.10.10.10 -u "root" -p "password" "[datastore1] 2k3en/2k3en.vmx"

why is it necessary to upload an image just to post a correctly formatted line of text ????

Heheh... it's not.. but you need to use wiki tags :

or check the Plain Text Editor Markup Help

Interesting find though... i'll play a bit with it here and see if it works on linux...

--

Wil

edit: it is a bit annoying that this wiki syntax is completely different as wikimedia syntax, especially how they swapped logic here and there. For example that you end up posting hyperlink first and link comment afterwards only to find out it is the other way around after you posted ...

You are correct that the tag is a bit useless.. (to put it mildly)

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Wil - my first attempt with tags looked nice - I posted it and later edited the post again - after the edit all format was messed up again - so I posted an image instead :_|

By the way - the syntax in your post is not right - you need a blank behind the ] - I guess if you try to edit it you will screw up formatting

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Wil - my first attempt with tags looked nice - I posted it and later edited the post again - after the edit all format was messed up again - so I posted an image instead :_|

Try it without the , it is hardly ever needed and does more harm as good. Many of my posts contain the code tags and I don't have a problem editing those.

By the way - the syntax in your post is not right - you need a blank behind the ] - I guess if you try to edit it you will screw up formatting

:smileyshocked: I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I had no issues editing my post and add the space character..

--

Wil

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Wil - I really am very disappointed

If you ever offer a workshop " How to post at VMTN without getting mad" let me know.

I'll then eat 3 Valiums and try not to run amok Smiley Wink

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It works just fine on linux. Try to run vmplayer without all of the parameters like user/password/virtual machine. Just pass the host and it should pop up a dialog for the rest, including selecting the virtual machine. So just do this:

vmplayer -h 10.10.10.10

and I could just take any VM on my ESX host in remote... (so for VMware Server pass the port number as well 10.10.10.10:8333 )

That's a great find guys!

--

Wil

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Wil - do you know if it is really the vmplayer-binary that runs the remote-console ? - or is vmplayer used as a launcher to the browser-plugin that you may already have - and which I don't have right now ?

Just trying to find out why it doesn't work here - hmm - I only tried with ESXi right now - maybe thats the reason ???

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

... while we are at it - vmware.exe has this bitmap built in ...

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Well it isn't the browser plugin as I don't have it installed on that host. Actually it still had the 2.0 plugin installed and when I removed it from firefox (uninstall) I did see the plugin folder disappear and after that it still worked... So I don't think it is the plugin in this case. The host only has vmware-player installed.. nothing else since a while.

Guess I should try with windows then eh? Hmmm.. using a Windows host I seem to get the same problems as you have... hmmm... there is another difference.

On the linux box I am actually using the latest player Build: 118166 while on the windows box -with the same problems as you have- I am using what came along with VMware workstation, so that is Build 110068... could that be the issue?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I have VMplayer that comes with workstation 118166 - should be same version as you used on Linux ?

Wil - on Linux - did you connect to ESX or ESXi - maybe thats the difference ?

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

118116 right, seems I had some update to run on that host, thanks. Ok, so after running the update it appears that things haven't changed.

I am connecting to an ESX box, I don't have an ESXi box at the moment, it blew itself away around august 12 Smiley Happy and haven't reinstalled it since. I'll try that later (not today) and see if that makes a difference, or actually it's not working for me when using ESX and vmplayer on windows either...

What is substantially different for the linux guest is that it offers a list of available VMs if you don't pass vmplayer/vmware-vmrc a specific VM to run.

Another possible reason for this is maybe that security is more tight on windows and that it doesn't accept selfsigned certificates?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I looked at vmplayer.exe with resourcehacker again - I don't find any dialogues that would ask for username, password or selection of VMs ...

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Wil - I really am very disappointed

If you ever offer a workshop " How to post at VMTN without getting mad" let me know.

I'll then eat 3 Valiums and try not to run amok Smiley Wink

Just lost another post of mine to the shitty forum software as "I was logged off" again, the back button in the browser doesn't work due to the fine ecmascript wiping the content automatically for you. so I can only say !http://sanbarrow.com/gifs/ranting2.gif!

--

Wil

LOL, it moderates bad comments about itself .... what a @@@ (my own moderation)

0 Kudos
esloof
Expert
Expert

New VMware Remote Console (VMware VMRC) allows accessing the virtual machine consoles independent of Web-based management interface. In order to access VMware virtual machines, install VMware VMRC application from VMware Virtual Server web interface or download VMware VMRC application for Windows from the Minicom web site: .

0 Kudos