VMware Communities
txapeldot
Contributor
Contributor

VMX unrestricted guest

Hi all.

I've got a Windows 7 based host created with VWWare 7 some years ago that I'm trying to virtualize on my brand new Windows 10 based machine, by using the latest version of VMWare Player 16.1. Once installed, when I try to start the W7 host I've got the followin error message:

"This host does not support virtualizing real mode. The Intel "VMX unrestricted guest" feature is necessary to run this virtual machine on an Intel processor. [...]
Module 'MonitorMode' power on failed".

My brand new W10 based host has a Intel Xeon W3520@2.67 GHZ processor, and I suspect there might be some kind of incompatibility between this processor and VMWare Player 16.1. That's why I'd really appreciate is someone could tell me where the problem lies on and how I can to sort it out.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Sorry, but brand new?

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/39718/intel-xeon-processor-w3520-8m-cache-2-66-...

That's a processor from 2009 and it is missing the features needed for Workstation 14.x and newer.

My article from 2017 here has more details:
https://planetvm.net/blog/?p=3253

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
txapeldot
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wil, thanks for your reply.

You're right, my CPU is quite old... By "brand new" I meant "W10 recently installed". Sorry for my mistake but I'm not an english native speaker.

After reading the info provided in your links, I clearly know that my CPU doesn't support the "VMX unrestricted guest" feature.

Accepting that I won't be able to use VMWare Workstation 14 and laters, I'd like to know if there is a way of getting an older version of that software. It seems that VMWare site doesn't provide older versions different to 14.x, 15.x or 16.x versions, but I'd like to test if there is some old product version I can use with my current CPU processor.

Any clarification will be really appreciate.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

VMware Workstation 12.5.9 should work.

VMware Workstation 12.5.9 Windows

VMware Workstation Player 12.5.9

Note that you probably have to: follow the link, login... close the page as it redirects wrong, then follow the link again to be presented with the actual download page.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
txapeldot
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wil.

Thank you very much for the tools provided. I'd like to know if they are a trial version based products or if I'll be needing some type of licence for using them.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Workstation Professional 12.x is a trial for 30 days.
After that you'll need a license. You should be able to use a Workstation 16 license and downgrade the license via the portal. (Disclaimer I have never done that, but it has been reported to work)

Workstation Player is free for personal use.
If you are using it for business then you should be buying a license.
It also has a trial period IIRC.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
jancit
Contributor
Contributor

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VMware

If you see error:
This host does not support virtualizing real mode.
The Intel "VMX Unrestricted Guest" feature is necessary to run this virtual machine on an Intel processor.

insdie virtual machine folder
search for *.vmx file
open
add line
monitor.allowLegacyCPU = "true"
save

0 Kudos