VMware Communities
anervoustwitch
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare player 3.0 tools install fails

Im having lots of difficulty intsalling tools with vmware player 3.

it starts the download just fine, but once the download is complete the process immediately errors out and i get the message 'Error: Install of VMware Tools for Linux failed. Please report this to VMware or your system administrator as appropriate.'

It doesnt matter if the tools are for linux or windows guests, the install fails either way.

any ideas? i checked /var/log but there are no message on either the host, or the guests.

Host OS: Fedora 11

Guest OS: Centos5.3, ubuntu 9.10, win7, vista

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the Tools issues. Can you please post your UI log from a session in which you encountered this problem (any of the guests will do)? Also, can you check if you have write permissions for the directory vmware is installed in?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
anervoustwitch
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the Tools issues. Can you please post your UI log from a session in which you encountered this problem (any of the guests will do)? Also, can you check if you have write permissions for the directory vmware is installed in?

Thanks.

where is this log?

which directories do i need to be able to write into (there are a lot)?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In the UI, you can check out the About dialog (Help > About), and I believe that it shows the location of the UI log file that corresponds to the current session. In general, those logs are stored in /tmp/vmware-.log.

The log will be most valuable in determining what went wrong. A user shouldn't have have write permissions to /usr/lib/vmware, but some part of the download process should prompt for sudo credentials. The log will likely indicate clearly what actually went wrong, include permission issues.

0 Kudos