VMware Communities
plc775
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare on Windows Laptop OS 8.1 as Debian Linux gets PXE-E53 from BeagleBone Black

Objective: develop ARM code for BeagleBone Black (Debian Linux) using Windows 8.1 and Eclipse C/C++ Development environment

Approach:make Debian Linux OS the guest VM on Windows 8.1 laptop; setup Cross Devel environment on guest VM

Question: how do I get past PXE-E53 error (no bootfile name received)?

Steps taken:

On Laptop running Windows 8.1 (x64):

Successfully Connected BeagleBone Black to laptop via mini-usb to USB (Beagle Bone getting started E:\)

Successfully Downloaded debian-7.7.0-armhf-netinst.iso from debian.com

Successfully Downloaded and Installed VMware-player-6.0.4-2249910.exe from VMware.com

Click on Create a New Virtual Machine

Installer Disk Image File => browse to debian-7.7.0-armhf-netinst.iso click on Next >

Guest Operating System => Linux; Version => chose Debian 7 Next >

Named the Virtual Machine Debian 7 Next >

Specify Disk Capacity (accepted defaults) Next >

Customize Hardware New CD/DVD Connect at Power On checked; use ISO Image File debian... Close

Finish

Player > Removable Devices (greyed out; i.e not selectable)

Player > Power > Power On

Removable Devices Alert

Player > Removable Devices > (unchecked)  Linux Foundation BeagleBoneBlack > Connect (disconnect from host)

Tries to connect via DHCP (i,.e. from internet; not USB); fails; reports PXE-E53 No boot filename received.

Alert Disconnect from Host; Reconnect to VM => Operating system not found

Player > Removable Devices > (checked) Linux Foundation BeagleBoneBlack

Player > Power > Restart Guest

Alert - safe shutdown > Yes

Alert - USB device removal > OK

Alert - Connectable Devices

Alert Disconnect from Host; Reconnect to VM => Operating system not found

===================================================================================

Suggestion to vmware:

modify wizard to include steps for finding the operating system so it doesn't drop down to DHCP

===================================================================================

Tries to connect via DHCP (i,.e. from internet; not USB); fails; reports PXE-E53 No boot filename received.

Checked Window 8.1 BIOS ==> LAN is last entry in boot order.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi plc775, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

The version of Debian you downloaded is intended to be run directly on an ARM processor.  VMware's virtualization products virtualize the x86/x64 architecture, not ARM.  You'll need to download an x86/x64 version of Debian (I suggest the "amd64" version) in order to run it in VMware Workstation.  You can then set up a cross-compilation environment targeting ARM within your Debian 7 amd64 virtual machine.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi plc775, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

The version of Debian you downloaded is intended to be run directly on an ARM processor.  VMware's virtualization products virtualize the x86/x64 architecture, not ARM.  You'll need to download an x86/x64 version of Debian (I suggest the "amd64" version) in order to run it in VMware Workstation.  You can then set up a cross-compilation environment targeting ARM within your Debian 7 amd64 virtual machine.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

plc775
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Darius,

Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to try it now. Will let the forum know whether the solution worked.

Laptop has Intel Celeron; will try to find that version rather than AMD64.

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
plc775
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Darius,

Thank you for the correct answer. I tried AMD64 as you suggested and got Debian 7 to install. No more E53 error.

0 Kudos