VMware Communities
empenn
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation permanently ignore touch screen input

I'm running VMWare Workstation Player 12.  My host OS is Windows 10 and the guest OS is macOS Sierra on a laptop with a touch screen.  Quite frequently when switching control from the guest to the host, the touch screen control is not relinquished.  To correct this I have to switch back to the Virtual Machine, then go to the Player Menu > Removable devices > {touchscreen device} > Disconnect.  After this the touch screen works normally.  If I had to do this once in a while it wouldn't be a problem, but it happens several times a day and is disruptive to my workflow.  If there is a fix such that the VM Player always disconnects from the touch screen when the VM is not in focus that would be awesome.  However, it would be nice if there was just some way I could permanently ignore the touch screen device on the VM as macOS doesn't support it well anyway.  Does anyone know how I might achieve either of these solutions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

It is a violation of Apple's licensing to run their OS on non-Apple hardware, so we cannot help you here or VMware could get into legal trouble.  Also, in order to run OSX under Workstation or Player, you must use an unauthorized hack/patch to VMware's product!  Don't ask for help on a company forum when admitting you are cracking their software!

0 Kudos
MilfordTheBunny
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to chime in and say that he didn’t say anywhere that it wasnt on Apple hardware, only that he ran Windows 10 as the primary OS.  Nothing wrong with this.  Yes, a patch is needed to allow macOS to function in VMware with this configuration (gray area as it isnt but at the same time is allowed) but it is still in the clear on the Apple side.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Just wanted to chime in and say that he didn’t say anywhere that it wasnt on Apple hardware, only that he ran Windows 10 as the primary OS.

As the OP mentioned touchscreen, which Apple hardware capable of Windows boot camp has touch-screen capability? So it is pretty clear that it isn't running on Apple hardware.

Yes, a patch is needed to allow macOS to function in VMware with this configuration (gray area as it isnt but at the same time is allowed) but it is still in the clear on the Apple side.

It is not a gray area. If you use VMware Workstation/Player to run macOS that is clearly a violation of VMware EULA, section 3.1 (e) and (h)

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/downloads/eula/universal_eula.pdf

0 Kudos