VMware Communities
fpiette
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Tools poweron script did not run successfully in this virtual machine

Hi !

I'm running a VM into VMWare Player. At startup, after windows loging, I get error "The VMWare Tools poweron script did not run successfully in this virtual machine. If you have configured a custom poweron script in this virtual machine, please inspect it for errors; otherwise submit a support request."

I have created the virtual machine using VMWare Workstation 6 and that VM works perfectly when run with VMWare Workstation. I have not created an poweron script.

The VM is running Windows XP while the host is Vista Ultimate.

Any advice Appreciated.

F. Piette

-- Francois Piette http://www.overbyte.be
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Well, you can always disable the poweron script from running at all, since it seems to think there is one.

toolScripts.afterPowerOn = "FALSE"

0 Kudos
fpiette
Contributor
Contributor

RDPetruska,

Well, you can always disable the poweron script from running

at all, since it seems to think there is one.

toolScripts.afterPowerOn = "FALSE"

Where do I enter that command ?

--

Francois Piette

-- Francois Piette http://www.overbyte.be
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Add that line to the vmx file for the guest. If it's in there, make sure the value is FALSE.

0 Kudos
hoffmp
Contributor
Contributor

I've got exactly the same symptoms with a different gues o/s (XP Pro SP2), a different version of Workstation (5.5.x) and a contemporary Player (2.5.x)

Adding the toolScripts.xxxx = "FALSE" instructions seems to have no effect; the same error message is produced

0 Kudos
sathyay2k
Contributor
Contributor

Please follow the below steps to fix this issue on the vcneter server appliance.

The VMWare Tools poweron script did not run successfully in this virtual machine. If you have configured a custom poweron script in this virtual machine, please inspect it for errors; otherwise submit a support request."

Modified /opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_poweron_vm_script as follows:  

Before:

/etc/vmware-tools/poweron-vm-default

/opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_set_guestinfo  

After:

/etc/vmware-tools/poweron-vm-default

/opt/vmware/bin/python2.7 /opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_set_guestinfo

- Rebooted the vCenter server appliance.

0 Kudos