VMware Communities
FrustratedinBos
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Player error(Log Below)

Hi; I am running Windows 7, 64 Bit OS. I am experiencing the following error message: "Error while powering on: The operation was canceled by the user" when I attempt to power up my VMWare Player from a "Suspended" state. It works fine until then.

Thanks

0 Kudos
14 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the communities.

Note: Discussion successfully moved from Community Website Help to VMware Player

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Gaiser
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here.  Ever find a fix?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

My suggestion would be to remove the Suspended State file (.vmss) from the Virtual Machine.  Note that deleting the suspend state has the same effect as performing a hard reset of the virtual machine, or pushing the Reset button on a physical computer, in that any unsaved data in open applications is lost!  However if the VM won't resume then I do not see any other choice to attempt to run the Virtual Machine.

To remove the suspend state from the Virtual Machine close VMware Player and then delete the .vmss file and .lck files/folders from within the folder that contains the files that comprise the Virtual Machine.  After deleting these files try running the Virtual Machine again.

Note: The checkpoint.vmState option in the .vmx configuration file may also need to be set to: checkpoint.vmState = ""

0 Kudos
FrustratedinBos
Contributor
Contributor

I was never able to get it to work so I went with another Virtual Machine whose name escapes me at the moment. It's frustrating though. Sorry I can't be of more help.

0 Kudos
raidex
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the steps below as suggested by WoodyZ, which has worked in in the past, but did not work this time. My VM got to this state after a hard shutdown on power loss at the host. To my surprise, the problem was resolved by starting a copy of the VM (copy the entire folder and contents) I had kept as fallback. When I started it, I was prompted to answer whether the VM had been moved or copied. I replied copied, and pure joy followed. The VM is now working.

--- Steps followed initial (this has fixed past instances of this error, but failed this time)

1) Remove the Suspended State file (.vmss)

2) Delete the .vmss file and .lck files/folders from within the folder that contains the files that comprise the Virtual Machine. 

3) Note: The checkpoint.vmState option in the .vmx configuration file may also need to be set to: checkpoint.vmState = ""

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

raidex wrote: I tried the steps below as suggested by WoodyZ, which has worked in in the past, but did not work this time. My VM got to this state after a hard shutdown on power loss at the host.

The steps I presented obviously will not work in every use case scenario nor are they intended to as sometimes the virtual hard disk can be corrupted beyond repair when a sudden power loss occurs, as possible in your situation.  Using a UPS/Battery Backup like those from APC is the best way to avoid sudden power loss scenarios that can typically corrupt the virtual hard disk, possibly to the point it cannot be recovered.

To my surprise, the problem was resolved by starting a copy of the VM (copy the entire folder and contents) I had kept as fallback. When I started it, I was prompted to answer whether the VM had been moved or copied. I replied copied, and pure joy followed. The VM is now working.

As long a the copy was properly made, i.e. not while it was running and preferably not suspended and VMware Player closed, then I'm not sure why you'd be surprised that a backup copy of the VM would work as that's what backups are for after all. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
raidex
Contributor
Contributor

Sudden power loss was inevitable since this happened on a development laptop while traveling. This is not a production configuration, and I am well aware of the existence of reliable power supplies used in the vast majority thereof.

I was surprised the copy worked because it was made after the original instance failed to boot. And yes, the instance was powered off.

0 Kudos
ING_Estrada
Contributor
Contributor

Smiley Happy I have the Solution I 've found

you have to remove a windows update : KB2995388 This is what keeps us start the virtual machine

here the link on how to uninstall the update : http://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2014/10/workstation-10-issue-recent-microsoft-windows-8-1-update...

0 Kudos
tftrim
Contributor
Contributor

Has same problem here.

After a few heart-stopping minutes, I realized that I had just started a copy-and-paste operation on the Virtual Machines folder (to a backup drive).

That operation apparently had a file locked, preventing the VM from starting.

I waited for the copy operation to complete and all was fine.

0 Kudos
computerfreako2
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same problem, but I noticed that I was starting it from my USB. lol!

Note: Never run VMWare images from USB. It won't work.

0 Kudos
The_Roly
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed Daemon tools in my computer and this app have a service named DiscSoftBusService.exe, this service load a file .vmdk from my virtual machine suspended, and this file stay locked and can´t be accesed by the vmware workstation or player. If you kill this process from your system the Virtual Machine will work again.

0 Kudos
francwalter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same with me, I didn't notice that in background I had a robocopy backup of the vmdk file running. This prevented vmware to open the VM (El Capitan, actually).

Thanks

0 Kudos
harbox
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same issue for a while, a bit on and off, tried all steps in this post to no avail.

When trying to launch the vm some logs appears in the temp folder and in one of those i found the following:

2016-09-30T08:52:26.686+02:00| vthread-8| I125: Vix: [236 foundryVMPowerOps.c:5940]: Error VIX_E_HOST_TCP_SOCKET_ERROR in FoundryVMOpenSocketToVMXThroughAuthd(): unable to contact authd: Failed to read vmware-authd port number: Cannot connect to VMX: C:\Users\%username%\OneDrive\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 10\Windows 10.vmx

It looks like there is a conflict because the vm is stored on onedrive.

Moved it to a local folder and the issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
somekindofname
Contributor
Contributor

I had this issue.

In my case it was caused by unintentionaly click on .vmdk instead of .vmx to boot machine.

Then .vmdk file was blocked by deamon tools even if it was not used.

So first of all check if you have this file mounted in virtual drive.

0 Kudos