VMware Communities
Arknath
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Player Port Forwarding Issue

Hi all,

I've Googled so hard my fingers are bloody on this subject and I just can't seem to find my solution. In fact, I Googled and found a post that I had made back in August of last year that had this same problem. Incidentally, I'm going to write down the steps this time.

Guest OS: Fedora 11, with IP 192.168.5.128 (from ifconfig)

Host OS: Windows XP with IP 192.168.11.191 (from ipconfig)

I have extracted and used vmnetcfg.exe (I did remember something from last time) and used it to forward my ports to this (obviously NAT is selected):

Host Port: 80 Type: TCP Virtual Machine IP Address: 192.168.5.128:80

Host Port: 80 Type: UDP Virtual Machine IP Address:

192.168.5.128:80

My C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\host file:

192.168.5.128 localhost

my /etc/hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4

192.168.5.128 localhost seantest.local

I have no firewall active, I can ping both addresses from the adverse OS and I am unable to see the web pages from my host OS (but everything works find on my guest).

Any help would be appreciated.

Ark

0 Kudos
5 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Since no one's answered....

I recommend trying "Workstation Lite", as member Continuum calls it. Install VMware Workstation trial, which includes VMware Player and installs the network editor correctly. Even after the trial expires, Player and the network editor are still accessable.

I have "Workstation Lite" installed on one of my XP-Pro workstations and port forwarding is working.

0 Kudos
Arknath
Contributor
Contributor

There has to be something going on with my machine. I have installed VMWare Workstation and still can't get this to work...

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

>> ...I have no firewall active, I can ping both addresses from the adverse OS and I am unable to see the web pages from my host OS (but everything works fine on my guest).

There has to be something going on with my machine. I have installed VMWare Workstation and still can't get this to work...

What IP address are you trying to open when you try to access from the host? The host has direct access to the non-NATed IP address (192.168.5.128) so if you can't open the web page using that IP, then check your guest's web server.

And to reduce confusion, I normally try to test port forwarding by using another machine, not the host. It's not necessary, but based upon some of the experiences with my coworkers who are not as comfortable with virtualization, it appears to be less confusing for them to troubleshoot.

0 Kudos
Arknath
Contributor
Contributor

i'm actually not using an ip to get to the guest. I'm using the alias for the website located in the hosts file.

when i type "localhost" in the browser in Firefox, i get an error that says

Unable to Connect:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost

Granted, since I installed Workstation, I've got a new guest IP and I'm trying all sorts of different settings. The above message is received when I have the VM set up to Bridged instead of NAT.

I can still pink the guest IP (192.168.11.71) and the host IP (192.168.11.69) from the opposite places (guest from host and vice versa). I know I've set this up with NAT before (never used bridged) but just didn't document how i did it.

Ark

Edit: I did check my web server by typing the IP (71) in the address bar and it came up with the apache page just fine, so everything is working there (and i've been looking at my other sites on the guest OS with the browser as well, so everything is working in the guest)

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried accessing the webpage by the host's IP address (not the 192.168.11.69 on the NATed LAN.) Especially try doing that from a different physical machine on your LAN to further eliminate any issues with the hosts file on your host machine.

0 Kudos