VMware Communities
TallTomD
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Player Freezes on User Switching

Hello,

I'm running an AMD-64 X2 based system with 6GB RAM. Host OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Using VMware Player 3.0.1.

Guest OS is Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. Was originally built on an Intel based system, and complained when I switched it to an AMD system, but the image seems to run fine while it's active.

The problem I'm having is when I leave VMware Player running and somebody performs a Switch User from Windows to switch to another user profile on the same host machine. The player seems to run OK in the background, but then when I switch back to the original user and attempt to resume working with the virtual machine, the Player seems to be locked up with only a black screen where the guest OS should be visible.

The only resolution is to use Player to force Power Off the guest OS. I can then usually wait a bit, start Player, and re-boot the guest OS.

The issue seems to be related to Windows User Switching on the Host OS while running the guest OS.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TallTomD
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates out there? Anybody else experiencing similar issues?

I've built a new guest OS on the AMD machine using Windows 7 Enterprise, but I still get the Player unable to respond when I switch user on the host machine and then switch back.

Perhaps I'll install Workstation and see if that helps.

Tom

0 Kudos
xchang
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates out there?  Anybody else experiencing similar issues?

Count me in!

Was using an old version and refused to update for a long time because it was working fine!

Finally, I gave in to security paranoia and updated to the latest version and: BOOM!

My VM locks-up upon user swithing!

CPU: AMD-X3

RAM: 4GB

Any help on this?

0 Kudos