VMware Communities
labviewguru73
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Player 7 Crashing when running with 3D Acceleration enabled

I am running VMWare Player 7 and for some reason when I run it with 3D acceleration enabled, the windows are sluggish when opening or closing and after a short period of time (10 to 15 minutes) the VM session will freeze and there is alot of disk activity. Sometimes there will also be a blue screen crash of the VM with verbage in regards to being stuck in a infinite loop. This locks the whole computer up, and it shuts down automatically on its own and reboots. This behavior does not happen when I disable the 3D acceleration and run in 2D mode.

Computer is as follows

Dell Precision M4800

32GB of RAM

750GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD with 243GB remaining, VMs are only about half full on drive space.

AMD Firepro M5100 FireGL V graphics card with 2GB onboard VRAM

I have the drivers setup to when VMWare is running it is utilizing the AMD graphics and not the onboard Intel 2D graphics, driver set to performance.

Any ideas? Dell is drawing a blank and AMD is saying that I need to make sure the AMD drivers are using the 3D settings when running the VM, which they are and it causes the crashes and sluggish behavior. If I run in 2D mode with the Intel onboard graphics there are no problems.

Additional information, I have run this same setup on another Dell M4800 with an Nvidia Quadro K2100 and everything worked fine in 3D acceleration mode on the VM.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steven

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Groves
Contributor
Contributor

If the crashes happen only intermittently, check if it's when you are using Microsoft Outlook 2013. If so, try disabling Office's use of hardware graphics acceleration. (File/Options/Advanced/Display). But I am doubtful this could be related to the sluggishness...

0 Kudos