VMware Communities
pauvre
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Player 16.2

So, how can I upgrade WIN 7 so that VMWare Tools will work? When Installed, the O/S just sticks.

I've tried several versions of XP on Win 10 Host. VM Tools gets so far then nothing. The oddest part is that this worked on my Win 11 [domestic] pc, but as this uses the TV Monitor, I can't get close enough to use the old Software!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

So, for clarification, I am assuming here that you have an existing WinXP virtual machine and you are trying to upgrade that to Win7?

After running the OS upgrade inside the VM, have you changed the guestOS to state that it is Win7?  The VMware Tools are different for different classes of Windows (older, mid-range, and newer - I forget what the actual ISOs are labeled).  So, you need to have the correct guestOS label so that the correct VMware Tools installer is triggered.

0 Kudos
pauvre
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I'll tell you what has happened with VMWare on Win 10 Host; Win XP and Win 7 will not load Tools. On my newer, Win 11, solid-state HDD pc, there was no problem. This O/S refuses nothing. Sometime soon, MICROSOFT will be insisting on Win 11 - I shall be buying a new office pc with Win 11 and solid-state HDD. Presumably then I'll be able to run VMWare Player and my old graphics packages on a close-up screen instead of a 6-feet away TV monitor.

0 Kudos