VMware Communities
icon5585
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Authorization Service

When I try to run a virtual machine using VMWare player, which has worked before, I now get an error saying "Error while powering on: The VMWare Authorization Service is not running."

How do you fix this? Thanks!

0 Kudos
22 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

What exact version of VMware Player?

What version of Windows are you running as your host OS?

Did you check the Windows Services control panel to see if "VMWare Authorization Service" was running?

What happens if you try starting the "VMWare Authorization Service" ?

0 Kudos
tnation-evs
Contributor
Contributor

What exact version of VMware Player?

What version of Windows are you running as your host

OS?

Did you check the Windows Services control panel to

see if "VMWare Authorization Service" was running?

What happens if you try starting the "VMWare

Authorization Service" ?

I had the exact same problem!!!

I'm on the Version 2.0.0 build-45731

I'm running Windows Vista.

I checked the VMWare Authorization Service is running (or atleast set to the automatice in the task manager).

I tried starting the VMWare Authorization service but it gave me an error:

Windows couldn't start the service service-specific error code 6000002.

0 Kudos
mattmcp
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same problem.

If I try to start the VMWare Authorization Service manually it says:

Windows could not start the VMWare Auth ...

Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

This is Vista Home Premium and a fresh install of VMWare Player

0 Kudos
michael-vmware
Contributor
Contributor

My VMware Authorization server does not start on reboots.

I need to do an install repair each time or use hibernate to avoid it.

Anyone having this issue

I am using Vista and Workstation 6

manual restarting of service does not work.

0 Kudos
michael-vmware
Contributor
Contributor

Re-installing as local administrator fixed my issue.

-

Original Message-----

From: VMware Technical Support \[mailto:webform@vmware.com]

Sent: August-30-07 2:38 AM

To: xxx

Subject: RE: VMware Support Request SR# 193508254

DO NOT CHANGE THE SUBJECT LINE if you want to respond to this email.

Dear xxx,

Thank you for your Support Request.

Did you log into the Host as a Local Administrator when first installing Workstation, or as a Domain user? Workstation should be installed by a user with local administration privileges. It can be started by any user.

If you did not follow the above procedure, uninstall the Workstation and try installing it afresh as a local administrator.

Let us know if the problem persists.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Arunraj S

Technical Support

VMware, Inc. (An EMC Company)

0 Kudos
JG55
Contributor
Contributor

I too am having this same issue however I am on Windows XP Pro SP2.

I am using VMware-player-2.0.0-45731.exe to install and when I attempt to launch an image, I get the error message about the the VMware Authorization not running. When I attempt to locate this service in my services list, I do not see it listed.

I also installed and am running this VM Ware player from a local admin account.

Can I get help to launch my image?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

If you do not see the VMWare Authorization Service in the Windows services control panel. You should uninstall and reinstall the VMware Player software

0 Kudos
JG55
Contributor
Contributor

Kevin, thanks for the quick reply.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled various versions of VMWare Player and also a

trial version of VMWare Worksation 6.0 build 45731. I have been very careful to restart my workstation between installs and uninstalls.

With both VMWare Player 2.0.0-45731 and Workstation 6.0, I encounter the same problem as outlined in this discussion thread.

I have also attempted to use version 1.x (1.0.2-29634, 1.0.3-34682, 1.0.4-44386) and received a different error, which I believe some other threads have been discussion. During launch of VMWare, a specific VMmsg object is unable to be created. However, I have not gotten those versions to work either.

Do you have any other recommendations for getting VMWare Player to launch an image?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mrcsil
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, I get the same problem. When installing the VMWare player (as an administrator), as well as the workstation

- the services (authorization, DHCP, etc) are not installed (they are not even in the windows services list)

- the VMware group and user are not created

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
mvannie
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having these issues on a VISTA x86 Business install. I am still using Evaluations on oll of this because I am not ready to purchase software that doesn't work in my environment. Has anyone had any contructive dialogue with VMWare on this?

0 Kudos
jallen2
Contributor
Contributor

Ditto for me, running Windows Server 2008 Standard and VMware Workstation 6.0.3 build-80004. I can "fix" the issue by uninstalling and then re-installing VMware workstation, but I have to do this practically every time I reboot my host machine. This is really a pain. Please VMware, how can I fix this issue permanently?

0 Kudos
mvannie
Contributor
Contributor

Kevin, is there any chance of VMWare addressing this issue? I have tried support, but never gotten any action on the item since I am still trying to evaluate the software with Vista, and cannot buy it if I do not get it working.

0 Kudos
PJN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, we just had a problem with VMware Authorization Service not running - I think the cause was probably not installing with local admin rights. However, we seem to have resolved the issue by adding our user group into the __vmware_users__ group.

0 Kudos
mvannie
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried installing as a the local admin, and still had the same results. What user group did you add to the __vmware_users__ group? Your administrator? What user is the service running with?

0 Kudos
Mr_Mitchell
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem too. I seem to have fixed it by adding the __vmware_user__ to the local Administrators groups.

0 Kudos
mvannie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I will try that.

0 Kudos
richarlo
Contributor
Contributor

I am using the most recent version of the VMWare player and I am starting to discover the joy of my new VISTA HOME PREMIUM operating system: I have no access to the user & group administration panel ! (and cannot try your workaround). I wished I could try this. Unless one of you has another workaround I guess I will have to wait for a fix from the VMWare folks.

Any other idea to propose someone?

0 Kudos
mvannie
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that so far, this is working (adding __vmware_user__ to the Administrators group)

I have not had a chance to try looking at a Vista Home Premium install to get to the users and groups so I am sorry I cannot be of more assistance to you richarlo.

Thanks to those who have contributed.

0 Kudos
PJN
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have tried installing as a the local admin, and still had the same results. What user group did you add to the __vmware_users__ group? Your administrator? What user is the service running with?

Sorry for the late response (been away enjoying myself).

We added the group that the general user belonged to, i.e. the user that actually wants to use Player - I guess that adding that user to the __vmware_users__ group would have had the same effect.

0 Kudos