VMware Communities
anitallica
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Authorization Service fails

Hi everyone, I have a user that seems to get a conflict with another application installed on the computer, which causes the VMWare Authorization Service to sometimes not start correctly. When this happens (or if he stops the service manually), he cannot start any machine in VMWare Player, he gets the error message: "Error while powering on: the VMWare Authorization Service is not running.".

VmwPlayer_vmauthd.JPG

However, if on my machine, I manually stop the VMWare Authorization Service, I can still start any virtual machine in VMWare Player.. so I don't really understand what is the difference between his machines and mine, why he cannot start VMs without this service, but I can..

Does anyone have any idea what this VMWare Authorization Service actually does? Why and when it is needed?

Thanks for any tips you might be able to give me..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If I'm not mistaking that service is for running vm's under restricted accounts...

Is that user administrator of his machine? Is UAC enabled? ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If I'm not mistaking that service is for running vm's under restricted accounts...

Is that user administrator of his machine? Is UAC enabled? ...

0 Kudos
anitallica
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks a million! that's exactly right!

if I stop the service, with an admin I can still start the VMs, with a user I get the error...

now, after wasting almost 2 weeks with vmware support, who haven't been able to give me this clear short and simple answer Smiley Happy comes my real challenge.. finding out why this other application is sometimes preventing this vmware service from starting correctly.. that will be fun! but again, thanks a million, you have been great help!

0 Kudos
spravtek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No problem glad to be of assistance Smiley Happy

0 Kudos