VMware Communities
Anakunda
Contributor
Contributor

VMW Player rapes my external drives

Greetings,

have the problem. I'm using the Player for just testing bootable flash drive, so I firstly opened a virtual machine and added an USB controller to it, then I got to work the VMW USB background service so that the Player could access physical devices. I started the player and booted from flash drive as expected, so far everything OK, however unfortunatelly the player took over remaining USB devices as well, ie. all my other external drives (forced dismount) and connected for it self. This is unacceptable for me as there are continuously running applications whose access files on my external drives and whose do crash as soon as the drives are dismounted, obviously.

So that's the question. Is it possible to leave USB support for the Player, so that it can furthermore use my pen drive, but only that, ie. don't try access or lookup anything USB-based except the pendrive? Having bad luck to find anything what could more customize or filter the USB behaviour of player.

Thanks in advance for any working solutions.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I started the player and booted from flash drive as expected, so far everything OK

? how so ? VMplayer can not boot from USB - I always boot from Plop bootmanager from iso to test USB-bootable devices in a VM ..

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

0 Kudos
Anakunda
Contributor
Contributor

Don't care, I have a custom ISO which is not part of the subject.

The problem is forced dismount of locked USB devices.

0 Kudos