VMware Communities
Troia201110141
Contributor
Contributor

VMPlayer very slow and not only ....

I have just installed the VMPlayer and created a new virtual machine and started to install windows xp, it took 3 hours to install it!

I choose to install the vm tools and since 1 hours is installing them! Isn't it a little bit to slow? VirtualBox is 100 times faster!

And it is not everything, my pc is also strong slowed down from the player, is this normal with the free version?

Is it a political choice to force people to buy the other versions? But from what I see I will ever never buy a such product, it really sux!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

a XP install should be done in 30 minutes or less
did you assign too much RAM ? - or too many CPUs ?

do you allow Antivirus software to scan vmdk-files ?

attach a vmware.log from that VM please

0 Kudos
Troia201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, the vm is 1 processor 1GB ram, and about the log file, which one do you want? The 0 kb one (see picture)?

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/486/262cb96e470c4a119c3655e.png

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/6800/6adbe3315bde418bab50d18.png

0 Kudos
Troia201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Today I have found a log file, I attach it.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the log has lots of lines like

Aug 23 23:56:33.014: vmx| ide0:0: Command WRITE(10) took 5.683 seconds (ok)

this means that the vmdk your VM uses is not in good and healthy condition.

You should "shrink" this vmdk as soon as possible - running the VM in a state like this without shrinking can become a problem soon.

Shrink is a function of the vmware-tool-box

0 Kudos
Troia201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I will try it, but I don't undestand I have just created a virtual machine and began to installing the operating system and the virtual disk was already corrupted? Is this that you are try to tell me? So I have to "shrink" the virtual disk every 10 minutes? Can I set it in the windows scheduler?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

this is a fresh VM ?
the log looks like a VM that was in use since years.

Where exactly do you satore that VM ? - on a USB stick or something like that ?
Is that volume highly fragmented ?

0 Kudos
Troia201110141
Contributor
Contributor

No it was just a fresh created virtual machine with a new virtual hd and I was just installing the operating system, and the virtual machine was on my hd not on a usb or other special storage devices. For this reason I don't undestand the problem ...

0 Kudos