VMware Communities
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMPlayer, How to Boot to Virtual Drive?

Hello,  I created a Virtual Drive in my Host computer (Win7) and I am able to see it within my Guest VM (win7).  I have choosen this as my main drive in the Guest VM.  I bascially want to boot from this virtual drive I created to run an installation.

I dont see any settings on booting so I guess its from the BIOS as normal, accessing the BIOS doesnt appear so easy,  I did find somethings that say I can add a delay so I am able to get to the start up screen easier in order to access the BIOS, i placed this line,  bios.bootdelay= "5000"  within the File  .vmxf   (using notepad)  .  Still cant do it.  I since deleted the line.

How can I boot to this virtual drive I created?

Do I change the boot sequence in BIOS?  If so, whats best method to access BIOS within my VM Guest OS.

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ilcaa wrote: i placed this line,  bios.bootdelay= "5000"  within the File  .vmxf   (using notepad)  .  Still cant do it.  I since deleted the line.

That parameter needs to be placed in the .vmx (VMware virtual machine configuration) file not the the .vmxf (VMware virtual machine VIX meta-data) file.

Also adding the following parameter to the the .vmx (VMware virtual machine configuration) file not the the .vmxf (VMware virtual machine VIX meta-data) file will force boot to the BIOS one time and then change the value of the parameter to "FALSE".

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I finnally got it, the problem is the initial screen goes away in under a second, so  you just have to make sure you mouse click and hit F2 repeatedly non stop once the VM Machine starts, or else you will not be able to access the BIOS

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ilcaa wrote: i placed this line,  bios.bootdelay= "5000"  within the File  .vmxf   (using notepad)  .  Still cant do it.  I since deleted the line.

That parameter needs to be placed in the .vmx (VMware virtual machine configuration) file not the the .vmxf (VMware virtual machine VIX meta-data) file.

Also adding the following parameter to the the .vmx (VMware virtual machine configuration) file not the the .vmxf (VMware virtual machine VIX meta-data) file will force boot to the BIOS one time and then change the value of the parameter to "FALSE".

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"
0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks I like your method better...

How do i edit this .vmx file.   This is the same .vmx file that opens my virtual machine ( iassume)  but how/where/what do I do to add this line,

thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Use a text editor (e.g. notepad) and add the line WoodyZ provided to the end of the file.

André

0 Kudos
ilcaa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

got it does it perfectly  thanks for the help

0 Kudos