VMware Communities
Kiki_Lavier
Contributor
Contributor

VMPlayer Crashes On First Try, Then Runs OK on 2nd Try

Host: Windows XP Professional

Guest: Ubuntu 7.0.4

VMPlayer: 2.0

This happens on at least two different machines, both Windows hosts, same Ubuntu VM, same version of VMPlayer. Problem seems to occur every other time I start up VMPlayer.

Upon running VMPlayer and selecting Ubuntu 704, Unbuntu will appear to start up OK, but the sequence of messages of VMware and Ubuntu booting up doesn't seem to follow the correct (stable) sequence, and VMPlayer crashes--totally disappears from the screen.

After the crash, I restart VMPlayer, select Ubuntu 704, and notice that the sequence of booting up VMware and Ubuntu appear to be different, and it successfully loads Ubuntu. When I exit Ubuntu, I follow the appropriate shut-down procedure.

Any ideas on fixing this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Message was edited by:

Kiki_Lavier

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Open a command prompt Window and type the following from the command line.

cd %TEMP%

look in vmware- directory for the Player UI log file. Check for any reported errors.

Also look at the vmware.log file from the virtual machine for any reported errors.

0 Kudos
Kiki_Lavier
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmmm.

From the Windows command prompt, cd %temp% (either upper or lower case) doesn't locate the temp directory.

From My Computer, I did a search on temp and got 3 or 4 directories of that name. The one under C:\windows\temp shows 11 files of the name vmware-vmount- (with username being the user's login name).

I have a hunch that I'm not finding what you are asking for.

0 Kudos