VMware Communities
kgm32
Contributor
Contributor

VMPLAYER high disk space and high CPU utilization

Like others I have read, have the issue with high disk utilization a couple times a day using Vmplayer.  I have done all the suggestions removed from virus scaning, etc but that does not help.   This is more an inconvience that a real issue BUT now I am experience every 2 to 3 reboots on the guest OS 100% utilization of the CPU and an unsuable VM session.  I have tried to let it set to clear but it does not so so, the only solution is to shutdown the guest OS which has taken 1 to 2 hours to complete.  Once this is done the next boot usually the problem issue goes away but then a couple reboots later it happens again.  I have check the logs on the guest OS (winxp sp3) and I see no errors.  If I attempt a reset.  The problem remains with the next boot so I have to let it do complete shutdown.  Anyone else ever see 100% cpu utilization in the guest OS?  Right now I have switched to Virtual PC as I cant have this type of downtime on the guest OS machine but it has issues with directory/disk sharing so I would like to get back to using VMplayer

Any thought or help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kgm32
Contributor
Contributor

No one?  Crap...well I guess I am stuck Virtual PC...too bad because it will not allow me to cut an paste between the two but at least it does not take up so much disk activity as to kill my PCs performance.

Thanks anyway, I guess this issue can be closed.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Have you installed the VMware Tools?

Do you have the CD-ROM device connected?  Try disconnecting it when you aren't using it.

0 Kudos