VMware Communities
Mpechanek
Contributor
Contributor

VMMON and VMNET - Unable to install modules after VMware 16.1.0. installation

Hello, I have CentOS 8.3.2011 (kernel -4.18.0-240.15.1.el8_3x86_64) and VMware 16.1.0 player. Installation of VMware was successfull but modules VMMON and VMNET are unable.

I tried https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/branches/active

But this problem happened: on photo

Thank you!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sammycda
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue on a fresh install of Debian Bullseye and linux kernel 5.10. I generated and enrolled the keys and confirmed they are present.

However I cannot get past the two missing modules, vmmon and vmnet.

0 Kudos
Kea1
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having a similar problem, only with vsock-only.

Slackware 14.2

Linux 4.20.0 #2 SMP Fri Dec 6 00:27:49 CET 2019 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

VMware-Player-15.5.1-15018445.x86_64 (in case of 15.5.6 the modules cannot be compiled, too)

(...)
scripts/Makefile.build:291: recipe for target '/tmp/modconfig-ZJbHyv/vsock-only/linux/notifyQState.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/tmp/modconfig-ZJbHyv/vsock-only/linux/notifyQState.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:291: recipe for target '/tmp/modconfig-ZJbHyv/vsock-only/linux/af_vsock.o' failed
make[2]: *** [/tmp/modconfig-ZJbHyv/vsock-only/linux/af_vsock.o] Error 1
/tmp/modconfig-ZJbHyv/vsock-only/linux/util.o: warning: objtool: .text.__x86_indirect_thunk_rdx+0x0: unsupported intra-function call
/tmp/modconfig-ZJbHyv/vsock-only/linux/util.o: warning: objtool: If this is a retpoline, please patch it in with alternatives and annotate it with ANNOTATE_NOSPEC_ALTERNATIVE.
Makefile:1563: recipe for target '_module_/tmp/modconfig-ZJbHyv/vsock-only' failed
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/modconfig-ZJbHyv/vsock-only] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.20'
Makefile:117: recipe for target 'vsock.ko' failed
make: *** [vsock.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/tmp/modconfig-ZJbHyv/vsock-only'
Unable to install all modules. See log for details.

Any ideas?

Bests,
KEA.

0 Kudos
sammycda
Contributor
Contributor

I modified VMware's instructions slightly and this seems to work, at least for Debian Bullseye:

Install VMWare
Run this

sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
You'll see that there are issues with monitor and net, thas ok.

Generate a key

openssl req -new -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout VMWARE16.priv -outform DER -out VMWARE16.der -nodes -days 36500 -subj "/CN=VMWARE/"
You'll see info that it did it ok.

Use this key we just generated to sign the two kernel modules.

sudo /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/scripts/sign-file sha256 ./VMWARE16.priv ./VMWARE16.der $(/sbin/modinfo -n vmmon)
sudo /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/scripts/sign-file sha256 ./VMWARE16.priv ./VMWARE16.der $(/sbin/modinfo -n vmnet)
This does not give any feedback

Check that signatures are applied correctly.

tail $(/sbin/modinfo -n vmmon) | grep "Module signature appended"
You should get Binary file (standard input) matches

Now we make this key trusted by importing it to machine owner key (MOK) management system with the command below. Here you can read more about MOK’s job in Linux.

sudo mokutil --import VMWARE16.der
This will ask you for a password, enter some new password a bit long like 1616vmware. Reenter same password.

Reboot, When reboot you should be presented with a menu with blue screen background, you have to make your way to enroll the key and enter the password you just created, this happens only once, then continue to boot.

To test the driver / module installed correctly enter the command

mokutil --test-key VMWARE16.der
You should get VMWARE16.der is already enrolled and that means VMWare should be working.

All credits to OP.

Notice: I've found out that after some Linux updates which involves the kernel (or something like that) this fix stops working and you have to do all the steps again to get it working again. (No need to re-install vmware)

0 Kudos
Kea1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi sammycda,

I'll check it is sort of unbelievable it would be a signature problem, especially because the other modules were compiled without a problem.  Will put here the result.

Thx,
KEA.

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@Mpechanek wrote:

But this problem happened: on photo

The error message says clearly what the problem is and what you should do: "...please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel".

0 Kudos
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@Kea1 wrote:

I'm having a similar problem, only with vsock-only.

There is no reason to build vsock module with 4.20 kernel. This module has been upstreamed around kernel 3.9, for 4.20 you need only vmmon and vmnet.

0 Kudos